The Student Room Group

A-level help!

I created an account on tsr because at this point I have no one else to ask. I’m an a-level student and I’m about to sit my exams in mid may. However I’m averaging about Es and Ds in English language, sociology and geography. My dad has told me to create mindmaps for all the content (as I know very little) and then to do exam questions. But doing the mindmaps would take me the entire Easter break and by then I would only have a month left to go over the content again and learn how to write exam questions. I would like to at least get Cs as I don’t want to retake the year again. What would be the best way to learn as much content as possible while doing exam questions?
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't think mindmaps would take as long as you think but I also understand what you're saying about taking time to make things and then revising.

I don't know what to do if you don't really know much at this stage but i think you should maybe start planning question answers?
I'm doing history and a lot of my revision is practicing in timed conditions and also planning questions by looking for general things about topics that questions repeatedly ask about and planning answers eg if it was about economy in russia i'd plan answers about the people who pushed it and whether they were successful, the impact on the people and the effectiveness etc

This way you can revise content and make study materials (eg if you know you have a test you can go over the plans and revise the knowledge that general questions can be answered with) and also learn the content that you need to know rather than spending loads of time going over the entire thing meticulously.

At this point you need to just be rlly proactive and work hard at it but that's my advice.
At this point, dont bother wasting time making notes, I would use a textbook and write key points on a white board / notebook until its stuck in your head. And then keep doing practice questions :smile:
Original post by Username2938
I created an account on tsr because at this point I have no one else to ask. I’m an a-level student and I’m about to sit my exams in mid may. However I’m averaging about Es and Ds in English language, sociology and geography. My dad has told me to create mindmaps for all the content (as I know very little) and then to do exam questions. But doing the mindmaps would take me the entire Easter break and by then I would only have a month left to go over the content again and learn how to write exam questions. I would like to at least get Cs as I don’t want to retake the year again. What would be the best way to learn as much content as possible while doing exam questions?

Heya!
Mindmaps shouldn't take too long to make :smile: I wouldn't recommend trying to make every note though as there isn't much time. I would also recommend doing practice questions + using the mark scheme :h:If it helps, Study Mind has free practice questions.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Username2938

i also study geography and sociology. for both subjects i can';t stress this enough but ESSAY PLANS!!! especially for geography. I find that i sometimes misunderstand the questions, if you can get a top band mark in your essays you WILL get an A. DO NOT settle for less, get into the mindset that you can get an A/A*. This helped me go from averaging straight D's in year 12 to getting B/A's in year 13 and currently be predicted an A. For sociology blurting and active recall is your bestfriend. There is SO MUCH content even I am overwhelmed right now. Practise your essays too! and do past papers right now. For sociology i like to annotate the item and plan the questions.

Quick Reply

Latest