The Student Room Group

Possible to do PhD straight from Bachelors?

Hello, So this question has been sought after for a couple of weeks now by me.

I've been reading various sources that say I don't. Although many do say I would need a first or a very strong 2.1 with a good background in research type stuff, I'm not sure if i'm able to do it off the rip with a first in bachelors?

I know different universities are different with this. Some absolutely require a masters degree, but some don't. So is it actually worth trying to apply off the rip with a first degree after bachelors?

Thanks for the help.
Original post by ateben

I've been reading various sources that say I don't. Although many do say I would need a first or a very strong 2.1 with a good background in research type stuff, I'm not sure if i'm able to do it off the rip with a first in bachelors?

I know different universities are different with this. Some absolutely require a masters degree, but some don't. So is it actually worth trying to apply off the rip with a first degree after bachelors?

Thanks for the help.

Its university / department dependent, so impossible to answer with any kind of certainty unless you say where you plan to apply. For many of the higher ranked institutions however, you can guarantee that you would be in competition with people who do have a masters if you apply with only a BSc.
Original post by ateben

Thanks for the help.

Hi @ateben,

As you say, it will vary from university to university, but some will accept you onto a PhD programme with a 1st or a 2:1. We do at the University of Suffolk, our application guidance states:
“Applicants for postgraduate research degrees are expected to hold a Bachelors (Honours) degree, graded at 1 or 2:1, awarded by an institution or body with degree awarding powers in the UK or equivalent from a recognised overseas institution.” (https://www.uos.ac.uk/content/phd-application-process)

Here’s a link to our Doctoral College, where you can find out more about postgraduate research with Suffolk: https://www.uos.ac.uk/phd-study

Are you thinking about applying to particular university? It’d be an idea to contact them directly to find out their admissions requirements, but I think it’s definitely worth exploring!

I’m a PhD student with Suffolk, so if you have any questions about PhD study, please ask 😊

Hope that's helped,

Amy
Official University of Suffolk rep
Original post by ateben

Thanks for the help.

I'd say apply, what have you got to lose? If a strong university accepts you for PhD you're probably good enough
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Its university / department dependent, so impossible to answer with any kind of certainty unless you say where you plan to apply. For many of the higher ranked institutions however, you can guarantee that you would be in competition with people who do have a masters if you apply with only a BSc.

My plan is to apply to kings, imperial, ucl, cambridge, and basically the top universities.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi @ateben,

As you say, it will vary from university to university, but some will accept you onto a PhD programme with a 1st or a 2:1. We do at the University of Suffolk, our application guidance states:
“Applicants for postgraduate research degrees are expected to hold a Bachelors (Honours) degree, graded at 1 or 2:1, awarded by an institution or body with degree awarding powers in the UK or equivalent from a recognised overseas institution.” (https://www.uos.ac.uk/content/phd-application-process)

Here’s a link to our Doctoral College, where you can find out more about postgraduate research with Suffolk: https://www.uos.ac.uk/phd-study

Are you thinking about applying to particular university? It’d be an idea to contact them directly to find out their admissions requirements, but I think it’s definitely worth exploring!

I’m a PhD student with Suffolk, so if you have any questions about PhD study, please ask 😊

Hope that's helped,

Amy
Official University of Suffolk rep

If you are a PhD student, did you do a masters before applying for PhD? or Did you apply straight for a PhD? If the latter, I heard that "research experience" is helpful, but I don't know where to begin with that?
Reply 6
Original post by justlearning1469
I'd say apply, what have you got to lose? If a strong university accepts you for PhD you're probably good enough

That's true, I will try some top universities, some mid and then some safties (this goes along with some masters deg.).
Original post by ateben
That's true, I will try some top universities, some mid and then some safties (this goes along with some masters deg.).

Might happen in the sciences. Highly unlikely to happen in the arts, humanities or social sciences though.
Original post by ateben
If you are a PhD student, did you do a masters before applying for PhD? or Did you apply straight for a PhD? If the latter, I heard that "research experience" is helpful, but I don't know where to begin with that?

I have not been a PhD student for quite a while now :smile:. FYI Imperial mandates a Masters for PhD applicants unless they bring "special" skills with them, e.g. several years of relevant industrial or national lab experience.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/help-centre/postgraduate-admissions/-what-are-the-entry-requirements-and-what-qualifications-do-you-accept.php
Original post by ateben

No problem, although you may need to accept a "worse" uni to do a PhD.
I was asked by my uni to skip my integrated Masters year and apply for their Doctoral training program - I did and have a place, I'll graduate in the summer with a BSc and start my doctorate in the autumn.

My uni is one of the top in the country and highly regarded worldwide for my field of study so it is possible. The difference here may be the university already knows me.
Original post by ateben

Hi @ateben,

I did do a masters before applying for my PhD, but found out from a fellow PhD student that it wasn't a requirement to have a masters to be accepted onto Suffolk's PhD programme. I didn't have a great deal of research experience before applying (only from my undergrad & masters dissertation modules), but I did have experience in my chosen topic of education (I was a primary school teacher). It'd be worth contacting the universities you're interested in to find out their requirements.

For research experience, are there any projects/studies that you could be a participant in? Sometimes students ask on Facebook/Twitter etc for participants, I see a few in the education & teacher groups I belong to. Are there any groups/pages linked to your intended area of study you could join?

Amy
Official University of Suffolk Student Rep
Original post by 2002Anon
I was asked by my uni to skip my integrated Masters year and apply for their Doctoral training program - I did and have a place, I'll graduate in the summer with a BSc and start my doctorate in the autumn.

My uni is one of the top in the country and highly regarded worldwide for my field of study so it is possible. The difference here may be the university already knows me.

Do you mind if I ask which uni this is?
Reply 13
Original post by Mr Wednesday
I have not been a PhD student for quite a while now :smile:. FYI Imperial mandates a Masters for PhD applicants unless they bring "special" skills with them, e.g. several years of relevant industrial or national lab experience.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/help-centre/postgraduate-admissions/-what-are-the-entry-requirements-and-what-qualifications-do-you-accept.php

Yeah I did read about that, i'm now trying to find professors in my uni where I can shadow them.
Reply 14
Original post by 2002Anon

Well yh, I will also apply to my current university because it's a nice backup. (University of Leicester)
Reply 15
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Hi @ateben,

I did do a masters before applying for my PhD, but found out from a fellow PhD student that it wasn't a requirement to have a masters to be accepted onto Suffolk's PhD programme. I didn't have a great deal of research experience before applying (only from my undergrad & masters dissertation modules), but I did have experience in my chosen topic of education (I was a primary school teacher). It'd be worth contacting the universities you're interested in to find out their requirements.

For research experience, are there any projects/studies that you could be a participant in? Sometimes students ask on Facebook/Twitter etc for participants, I see a few in the education & teacher groups I belong to. Are there any groups/pages linked to your intended area of study you could join?

Amy
Official University of Suffolk Student Rep

I have decided to start emailing my professors and lectures about the possibility to shadow their work or somehow gain experience in research from them.
Original post by ateben
Well yh, I will also apply to my current university because it's a nice backup. (University of Leicester)

Good choice. The professors there would know you well and it may help you. As long as you get along with them, that is
Original post by ateben
I have decided to start emailing my professors and lectures about the possibility to shadow their work or somehow gain experience in research from them.

Nice initiative. Only thing, make sure your schedule is still good enough to fit the things you want.
Reply 17
Original post by justlearning1469
Good choice. The professors there would know you well and it may help you. As long as you get along with them, that is

Nice initiative. Only thing, make sure your schedule is still good enough to fit the things you want.

Thanks for your kind words! I do get along with them, unfortunately one of them I really wanna work with is leaving soon. Maybe I could follow them into that university for my masters? Okay, maybe a bit creepy.

Whilst I emailed the professors I am interested in, I read up on their papers and do some reading around that topic (just so I am not totally lost yk).
Original post by ateben

Hi @ateben,

That sounds like an excellent idea! I'm sure they'll appreciate your enthusiasm and initiative. Good luck :smile:

Amy
University of Suffolk Official Rep
Hey @ateben

Always great to hear from those already at the University of Leicester! :smile: Just to chip in and give my thoughts....

I did an integrated Masters (Chemistry) course at Leicester and then stayed on for my PhD. From personal experience, I think it can depend on subject area and university, I would say that it is often encouraged in Chemistry across the UK.

But I would recommend considering a Masters, as it will really give you a flavour of what research is like (if you don't have that experience already, of course). A PhD is definitely more of a marathon and, for me, it really felt miles away in style and format from my undergraduate experience. In fact, it was only my integrated masters year that got me thinking about doing a PhD - so it was pivotal in helping me take that next step!

I've also had friends who were keen to do a PhD but changed their mind after a Masters, as it wasn't quite what they had in mind.

On the flip side though, it's understandable to look at going straight into a PhD, if you know it's right for you. I would recommend chatting to prospective supervisors/ academics or PhD students in your field to give you an idea if a masters is a good pre-requisite for your subject area.

Worth saying too that as a current/alumni at Leicester, you would be eligible for our alumni discount (20%) on a wide range of our masters courses :smile:

We have some virtual PG information webinars, including a PhD information session coming up in a couple of weeks that might be useful? you can sign up here and find out more, plus subject-specific content coming up soon.

Happy to chat more if you have questions!

-Alisha :smile: UK Postgraduate Recruitment Officer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending