The Student Room Group

Overall 3rd year Grade

Hello what would the calculation of my 3rd and final year be if my second year is worth 25% and the grade in the final year is worth 75%.

Average in Level 5 (2nd year): 59.6%
What average would be required to get a 2:1 in Level 6 (3rd year) ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello what would the calculation of my 3rd and final year be if my second year is worth 25% and the grade in the final year is worth 75%.

Average in Level 5 (2nd year): 59.6%
What average would be required to get a 2:1 in Level 6 (3rd year) ?

OverallPercentage = (SecondYearPercentage x 0.25) + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.75)

If you want a 2:1 you need OverallPercentage to be 60, so plugging in the 59.6 for SecondYearPercentage we get:

60 = (59.6 x 0.25) + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.75)
60 = 14.9 + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.75)
45.1 = ThirdYearPercentage x 0.75
45.1 / 0.75 = ThirdYearPercentage
60.1 = ThirdYearPercentage (to 1 decimal place)

Every uni handles rounding different, so you may get away with slightly less than that.
Original post by DataVenia
OverallPercentage = (SecondYearPercentage x 0.25) + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.75)

If you want a 2:1 you need OverallPercentage to be 60, so plugging in the 59.6 for SecondYearPercentage we get:

60 = (59.6 x 0.25) + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.75)
60 = 14.9 + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.75)
45.1 = ThirdYearPercentage x 0.75
45.1 / 0.75 = ThirdYearPercentage
60.1 = ThirdYearPercentage (to 1 decimal place)

Every uni handles rounding different, so you may get away with slightly less than that.

If Module 1: 68% average with two remaining courseworks. (30 credits)
Module 2: 53% two remaining courseworks. (30 credits)
Module 3: 52.5% two remaining courseworks (30 credits)
Module 4: 40% one remaining coursework (15 credits)
Module 5: 55%. (15 credits)

Is that achievable and am I on target for 2:1?

In the general case, you can work out your third year percentage as:

(Module1Percent x Module1Credits) + (Module2Percent x Module2Credits) + (Module3Percent x Module3Credits) + (Module4Percent x Module4Credits) + (Module5Percent x Module5Credits) / (Module1Credits+Module2Credits+Module3Credits+Module4Credits+Module5Credits)

If we assume that the percentages you've quoted aren't impacted by the fact that your have some pieces of coursework outstanding, and plug in the numbers we get:

(68 x 30) + (53 x 30) + (52.5 x 30) + (40 x 15) + (55 x 15) = 55%

So no, you're not on track for a 2:1. :frown:

Module 1: The assignments have all practically been complete awaiting results of the last two but I think I will average 68-70%+ for that module based on my performance for the first two courseworks.

Module 2: 53% although two assignments remain yet to be completed though yet again I think I’ll get 61-62% as an average.

Module 3: 3 assignments have been completed a 4th remains and that’s the practical report, I would think that I will end up getting somewhere between 57%-59% for this though aiming for higher result for a low 60.

Module 4: 40% module passed currently though one coursework remains and yet to be completed dependent on that coursework whether I pass or fail it’ll increase or decrease.

Module 5: 45-50% this module is practically complete and I cannot do anything about it.
In the general case, you can work out your third year percentage as:

(Module1Percent x Module1Credits) + (Module2Percent x Module2Credits) + (Module3Percent x Module3Credits) + (Module4Percent x Module4Credits) + (Module5Percent x Module5Credits) / (Module1Credits+Module2Credits+Module3Credits+Module4Credits+Module5Credits)

If we assume that the percentages you've quoted aren't impacted by the fact that your have some pieces of coursework outstanding, and plug in the numbers we get:

(68 x 30) + (53 x 30) + (52.5 x 30) + (40 x 15) + (55 x 15) = 55%

So no, you're not on track for a 2:1. :frown:

I still have results and coursework pending though could this change
I still have results and coursework pending though could this change

Of course. That's why I said "If we assume that the percentages you've quoted aren't impacted by the fact that your have some pieces of coursework outstanding".

Feel free to plug in some estimates for what you might get per module to the formula above to see what impact it'd have. Note, however, that if you use the top-end of each of your new predictions (i.e Module1Percent=70, Module2Percent=62, Module3Percent=59, Module4Percent=40, Module5Percent=50) this gives an overall mark of 59%.

Have you checked your uni's Academic Regulations to see how that handle rounding, or cases where you're just short of a 2:1?
Of course. That's why I said "If we assume that the percentages you've quoted aren't impacted by the fact that your have some pieces of coursework outstanding".

Feel free to plug in some estimates for what you might get per module to the formula above to see what impact it'd have. Note, however, that if you use the top-end of each of your new predictions (i.e Module1Percent=70, Module2Percent=62, Module3Percent=59, Module4Percent=40, Module5Percent=50) this gives an overall mark of 59%.

Have you checked your uni's Academic Regulations to see how that handle rounding, or cases where you're just short of a 2:1?

I’m not too sure if they handle rounding.
I’m not too sure if they handle rounding.

Which uni is it? It's normally fairly easy to look-up. (If you'd rather not say, that's fine too.)
Which uni is it? It's normally fairly easy to look-up. (If you'd rather not say, that's fine too.)

University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire

Great. All references below are within their "Academic Regulations for Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate Programmes", here:

Paragraph D6.3.1 (ii) says:
"For an upper second class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 59.50 or more".
So students at 59.5 are awarded a 2:1 (i.e it's effectively being rounded up to 60).

Note, by the way, that your comment that "my second year is worth 25% and the grade in the final year is worth 75%" isn't quite correct. The 75% comes from "the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" and the 25% comes from "the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher". This is document in D6.1.1.

This means that we can effectively ignore 30 credits from third year (i.e. the two 15-credit modules, where you were estimating 40-50%). This is great news from an averaging perspective, and brings a 2:1 much more in reach.
Great. All references below are within their "Academic Regulations for Undergraduate and Taught Postgraduate Programmes", here:

Paragraph D6.3.1 (ii) says:
"For an upper second class Honours award a student must achieve a combined average numeric grade of 59.50 or more".
So students at 59.5 are awarded a 2:1 (i.e it's effectively being rounded up to 60).

Note, by the way, that your comment that "my second year is worth 25% and the grade in the final year is worth 75%" isn't quite correct. The 75% comes from "the average numeric grade of the best 90 credits at Level 6 or higher" and the 25% comes from "the average numeric grade of the best remaining 90 credits at Level 5 or higher". This is document in D6.1.1.

This means that we can effectively ignore 30 credits from third year (i.e. the two 15-credit modules, where you were estimating 40-50%). This is great news from an averaging perspective, and brings a 2:1 much more in reach.

Really OMG. My 90 best credits from Level 5 were 69,65,65,62,55,42 and if I were to say at the rate I’m going were to get a 70,60+,55+ for Modules 1-3 am I really on course for my 2:1 😃
Really OMG. My 90 best credits from Level 5 were 69,65,65,62,55,42 and if I were to say at the rate I’m going were to get a 70,60+,55+ for Modules 1-3 am I really on course for my 2:1 😃

Indeed you are. :smile:

Note that it's not necessary the best 90 credits from level 5, it's from "Level 5 or higher". So if you manage to average better than 42 in the two 15-credit units from level 6 (third year), then you can replace the 42 from second year with the average of those scores.

It always pays to read the academic regulations.
Indeed you are. :smile:

Note that it's not necessary the best 90 credits from level 5, it's from "Level 5 or higher". So if you manage to average better than 42 in the two 15-credit units from level 6 (third year), then you can replace the 42 from second year with the average of those scores.

It always pays to read the academic regulations.

Thank you so much DataVenia :biggrin: I guess I no longer have to stress about it but I’ll continue to put the hardest of work till the very end.
Thank you so much DataVenia :biggrin: I guess I no longer have to stress about it but I’ll continue to put the hardest of work till the very end.

You're very welcome. (Yes, don't let you foot off the gas - keep working hard right up to the end.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending