The Student Room Group

gcse aqa eng lang spoken assessment

i jus realised i'm going to be doing a "spoken assessment" (i acc dk what it is but yea) n to the ppl who did the test,,,, what do u even say????? or do?? like do u talk ab smt u like or can i jus ramble whatev,,,,,, pls give me ideas or tips anything!!!!!! ++ also when does it happen, after the gcses r done or b4?

i'm self teaching my gcses at home mayb that's why idk lol <3333333
I had mine at the beginning of the year, in September and mine was on 'Stigmas Surrounding Mental Illness'
Definitely do not ramble, you need to prepare it ahead of time, and if you can, get a teacher to read over it and suggest improvements. People in my class did theirs on climate change, society, expectations of others etc; it really can just be about something that you're passionate about.
You'll have to have questions asked, and you can ask the audience to ask you questions that you've prepared answers to (ask them prior to the recording). When it gets marked, you're either awarded with a distinction, merit, pass or fail, with distinction being the best and obviously a fail being the worst
Original post by mzzz_k
i jus realised i'm going to be doing a "spoken assessment" (i acc dk what it is but yea) n to the ppl who did the test,,,, what do u even say????? or do?? like do u talk ab smt u like or can i jus ramble whatev,,,,,, pls give me ideas or tips anything!!!!!! ++ also when does it happen, after the gcses r done or b4?

i'm self teaching my gcses at home mayb that's why idk lol <3333333

you need to prepare a formal speech (do not ramble) about anything you’re interested in (though I feel like persuasive speeches or academic talks tend to allow you to achieve a higher grade. You are not allowed to just ‘read’ persay, and should have cue cards with a few sentences on to help remember your topic. There may also be some questions at the end, so research thoroughly,
Reply 3
Original post by AmeenahHs
I had mine at the beginning of the year, in September and mine was on 'Stigmas Surrounding Mental Illness'
Definitely do not ramble, you need to prepare it ahead of time, and if you can, get a teacher to read over it and suggest improvements. People in my class did theirs on climate change, society, expectations of others etc; it really can just be about something that you're passionate about.
You'll have to have questions asked, and you can ask the audience to ask you questions that you've prepared answers to (ask them prior to the recording). When it gets marked, you're either awarded with a distinction, merit, pass or fail, with distinction being the best and obviously a fail being the worst

so r u saying this is basc like giving a speech to ur class??? cus i'm homeskled n i'll b giving it an aqa approved centre so i think i'm jus talking to a teacher,, what kinda questions would b asked? r they like pre-made basic questions or would i give the examiner (??) an idea of what i'd b talking ab so they can make questions???? idk this whole thing is confusinggggg, does it have to be long asw or can i jus make a 3 line para speech n say that lol
Reply 4
Original post by waffelton
you need to prepare a formal speech (do not ramble) about anything you’re interested in (though I feel like persuasive speeches or academic talks tend to allow you to achieve a higher grade. You are not allowed to just ‘read’ persay, and should have cue cards with a few sentences on to help remember your topic. There may also be some questions at the end, so research thoroughly,

would i have to memorise my speech by heart omg orrrr can i jus read it off a piece of paper?
Original post by mzzz_k
so r u saying this is basc like giving a speech to ur class??? cus i'm homeskled n i'll b giving it an aqa approved centre so i think i'm jus talking to a teacher,, what kinda questions would b asked? r they like pre-made basic questions or would i give the examiner (??) an idea of what i'd b talking ab so they can make questions???? idk this whole thing is confusinggggg, does it have to be long asw or can i jus make a 3 line para speech n say that lol

Yes it's essentially a speech to the class, but considering yours is to an examiner at a center, it'll probably just be to one person.
It won't be premade questions, an after they hear your speech, they'll ask questions based on what you've said. And it can't just be a 3 line paragraph, you should aim to speak for a minute or two at the very least, and use techniques that you learn about in English e.g AFOREST techniques. Make sure you know a bit about your topic too so that the questions don't throw you off
Original post by mzzz_k
would i have to memorise my speech by heart omg orrrr can i jus read it off a piece of paper?

It's expected to have most of it memorised, as it's your speaking skills that are tested but you are allowed to have a few notes in front of you- prompts etc
Original post by mzzz_k

You will have to know most of it as you can get points deducted if you’re just reading. The whole point is to show off your research and be engaging, so yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending