The Student Room Group

I can’t relate to people my own age!!

I’m 19 and I just don’t understand what I do wrong. This has always been the case for me. Through high school I couldn’t relate to my peers and even now I don’t. I started speaking to a boy my age and we have nothing in common. This isn’t me thinking I’m better than everyone else, it’s the fact that I’ve always been way more emotionally mature than my peers. Even older people I speak to are shocked to learn I’m only 19 just by my knowledge on things like obscure politics, and they way I talk.
Maybe you just have very different interests, opinions, hobbies and mannerisms.
Nothing wrong with that- as long as you are capable of having a polite & sensible two way conversation with most average people your age for up to 5 mins and always maintain reasonable personal hygiene.
I can't relate to anyone.
Original post by didsthecat
I’m 19 and I just don’t understand what I do wrong. This has always been the case for me. Through high school I couldn’t relate to my peers and even now I don’t. I started speaking to a boy my age and we have nothing in common. This isn’t me thinking I’m better than everyone else, it’s the fact that I’ve always been way more emotionally mature than my peers. Even older people I speak to are shocked to learn I’m only 19 just by my knowledge on things like obscure politics, and they way I talk.

Some people are genuinely mentally old for their age. That is fine, in that case relate more to older people and consider having them as your friends.

There's nothing wrong with not following the crowd. You like to think about politics. You're bored by everyday conversation and you long for something more genuine and authentic.

Be you and be happy. It's way better than trying to be someone else, fitting in and ending up unhappy.

So what's the issue?
Reply 6
It's nothing to do with your age and everything to do with your interests. You could find like-minded people if you joined hobby groups and clubs, but don't be too narrow; do you want to go out with a male version of yourself? My boyfriend and I are very pretty chalk-and-cheese, but we've got enough in common to enjoy a relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending