The Student Room Group

Which is better Loughborough or Surrey?

Hello friends, I am looking forward to studying MSc in Data Science in the UK, I am in a dilemma, Loughborough university or the University of Surrey?
open to bits of advice and suggestions, Can anyone put an end to this confusion?
Original post by TannyCR7
Hello friends, I am looking forward to studying MSc in Data Science in the UK, I am in a dilemma, Loughborough university or the University of Surrey?
open to bits of advice and suggestions, Can anyone put an end to this confusion?

I would advise Loughborough, they have a growing reputation, high in the rankings and often mistaken for being in the Russel Group. They also have great study abroad options, employability links, placements etc

Hi @TannyCR7

Congratulations on your offers!

I know that it can be tough to choose a university to go to. If you visit the MSc Data Science course page, you will be able to see the modules you would be studying, rankings and careers information, which may help you with making a decision. Also, on the course page you will be able to see roles other Loughborough graduates have gone into having completed the MSc Data Science course. We also have a fantastic Careers Network and you can access their support for up to three years after graduating!

I would also visit this page on our Department of Computer Science to find out more about the department that manages this course.

Other than this, I would consider the location of both the universities as they are in very separate areas of the UK with different cities near them - Surrey being closer to London than Loughborough. But I've never had a problem getting anywhere from Loughborough. We're only a 10 minute train ride away from Leicester and not much further from Nottingham. It only takes around an hour and a half to get to London (depending on the train you get) and I know there are also coaches that you can use to get to London and also north of Loughborough. There is even an airport close by!

You should also take a look at the campuses and see if you like one over the other more. I'm a current undergraduate here and it really helped me to take a look at the campuses of the universities I was considering and was one of the reasons I chose to come to Loughborough.

Finally, I would take a look at accommodation options and the social activities that each university provides. Perhaps there is an interest or a hobby that you have and you would like to continue it or you want to try something new. You can see what societies or sports each university has to get involved in beforehand.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please let us know :smile:

Jess
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi @TannyCR7

I know that it can be tough to choose a university to go to. If you visit the MSc Data Science course page, you will be able to see the modules you would be studying, rankings and careers information, which may help you with making a decision. Also, on the course page you will be able to see roles other Loughborough graduates have gone into having completed the MSc Data Science course. We also have a fantastic Careers Network and you can access their support for up to three years after graduating!

I would also visit this page on our Department of Computer Science to find out more about the department that manages this course.

Other than this, I would consider the location of both the universities as they are in very separate areas of the UK with different cities near them - Surrey being closer to London than Loughborough. But I've never had a problem getting anywhere from Loughborough. We're only a 10 minute train ride away from Leicester and not much further from Nottingham. It only takes around an hour and a half to get to London (depending on the train you get) and I know there are also coaches that you can use to get to London and also north of Loughborough. There is even an airport close by!

You should also take a look at the campuses and see if you like one over the other more. I'm a current undergraduate here and it really helped me to take a look at the campuses of the universities I was considering and was one of the reasons I chose to come to Loughborough.

Finally, I would take a look at accommodation options and the social activities that each university provides. Perhaps there is an interest or a hobby that you have and you would like to continue it or you want to try something new. You can see what societies or sports each university has to get involved in beforehand.

Jess

I have a question about changing course at Loughborough? I got an offer for a course - ABB. But i wanted to switch for a course that required AAB. But i needed Distinction * and I was predicted a Distinction at the time I wanted to swap, so I was unable to change course. But now after having received a btec exam result I am now predicted D*, therefore would this course change now be possible since I reach the entry requirements for the course that I would like to swap to?
Original post by pips1242
I have a question about changing course at Loughborough? I got an offer for a course - ABB. But i wanted to switch for a course that required AAB. But i needed Distinction * and I was predicted a Distinction at the time I wanted to swap, so I was unable to change course. But now after having received a btec exam result I am now predicted D*, therefore would this course change now be possible since I reach the entry requirements for the course that I would like to swap to?

Hi @pips1242

I contacted admissions and they advised emailing [email protected] with your full name, UCAS Personal ID and the course you are interested in changing to. They can then review your application and advise you further.

If you have any more questions just let us know :smile:

Jess

I'd go with Loughborough -
Reply 6
Original post by pips1242
I would advise Loughborough, they have a growing reputation, high in the rankings and often mistaken for being in the Russel Group. They also have great study abroad options, employability links, placements etc

Thank you for your advise my friend, I will follow through, And do what is best accordingly.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Hi @TannyCR7

Jess

Thank you, Jess, I appreciate your reply. I have one question, I was given a conditional offer which required an IELTS band of 6.5, But there was no deadline. Could you please guide me on that?
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
I'd go with Loughborough -

Thank you for your insight, my friend.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Hi @TannyCR7

Jess

Thank you, Jess, Your profound insight has helped me see clearly, And I have one question, I was given a conditional offer from both Universities, an IELTS band score. Loughborough University has not mentioned a deadline for results submission, Can you please help me with that?
Thank you, Jess, Your profound insight has helped me see clearly, And I have one question, I was given a conditional offer from both Universities, an IELTS band score. Loughborough University has not mentioned a deadline for results submission, Can you please help me with that?

Hi @TannyCR7

The team on TSR don't deal with admissions so I would suggest emailing [email protected] with your details and question and hopefully they will be able to advise you further on a deadline.

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending