The Student Room Group

Undergraduate Dissertation: To do or Not to do

I am currently a second-year undergraduate Economics student at King's College London and am thinking of doing a Masters in a similar field (Economics, Finance, Business, Banking, Private Equity etc.) from a better university such as LSE, Imperial, or Oxbridge. My university offers. an optional dissertation which may replace 2 modules in my final third year. However my preference would be to choose 2 modules which I am interested in.

My question is: Will applicants to masters programmes hold a significant advantage if they take a dissertation over applicants who do not undertake a dissertation (in terms of getting into the programmes itself)
Original post by idk what to put
I am currently a second-year undergraduate Economics student at King's College London and am thinking of doing a Masters in a similar field (Economics, Finance, Business, Banking, Private Equity etc.) from a better university such as LSE, Imperial, or Oxbridge. My university offers. an optional dissertation which may replace 2 modules in my final third year. However my preference would be to choose 2 modules which I am interested in.

My question is: Will applicants to masters programmes hold a significant advantage if they take a dissertation over applicants who do not undertake a dissertation (in terms of getting into the programmes itself)

Yes, assuming the structure of the Masters is a conventional one, where about 50% is assessed by dissertation. In that case it will be important to evidence you can handle a larger piece of research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending