The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Uninspiring Campus vibe

I've had an offer to study at UCL but after visiting for a campus tour I'm not sure I want to study there. Granted it was a Saturday morning and the place was practically empty, but apart from the Bharatanatyam dance society doing their thing in a corridor there was hardly a soul around. It was so depressing compared to Manchester, which was really vibrant and full of life when I visited.
It didn't help that the student conducting the tour was a tad dull. She didn't address the fact there was no one about, confirming that the atmosphere vacuum I experienced was normal . everyone wasn't away I was very disappointed.
I think a lot of people might be off for Easter? You might get a better idea if you talk to someone studying there and ask them directly! From what I’ve heard, campus is pretty busy most days.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Kareenaaaa
I think a lot of people might be off for Easter? You might get a better idea if you talk to someone studying there and ask them directly! From what I’ve heard, campus is pretty busy most days.

It wasn't Easter when I visited. No doubt it is the location: no one hangs out there unless they have a lecture.
Original post by Anonymous
I've had an offer to study at UCL but after visiting for a campus tour I'm not sure I want to study there. Granted it was a Saturday morning and the place was practically empty, but apart from the Bharatanatyam dance society doing their thing in a corridor there was hardly a soul around. It was so depressing compared to Manchester, which was really vibrant and full of life when I visited.
It didn't help that the student conducting the tour was a tad dull. She didn't address the fact there was no one about, confirming that the atmosphere vacuum I experienced was normal . everyone wasn't away I was very disappointed.

Bearing in mind that most uni students would probably be sleeping off the night before on a Saturday morning lol.

I also doubt that many people would willingly take themselves to the library or study area on Saturday mornings regardless - especially if they've just finished exams. Idk if UCL had exams recently before you visited, but I do know that some unis local to me had them not too long ago and their libraries (which I study at) have been dead except for year 13s like myself cramming for A-Levels. Especially on a Saturday morning, there's like two other people until it hits about 12 or 1pm. Also, the Easter holidays there seem to have started over a week earlier than the regular school ones.

Obviously I can't speak for UCL, nor am I a uni student, but in my experience of being on campuses (Newcastle, Northumbria and Durham) at similar times, that doesn't seem too unusual lol.. especially for such a massive city uni where people and their accommodations are kind of scattered all over the place.
(edited 1 year ago)

Had you only just visited UCL this past Saturday? UCL is closed since 5th Apr and will only reopen this Thu 13th Apr.
I visited 2 months ago.
Original post by AAA_Battery
Bearing in mind that most uni students would probably be sleeping off the night before on a Saturday morning lol.

I also doubt that many people would willingly take themselves to the library or study area on Saturday mornings regardless - especially if they've just finished exams. Idk if UCL had exams recently before you visited, but I do know that some unis local to me had them not too long ago and their libraries (which I study at) have been dead except for year 13s like myself cramming for A-Levels. Especially on a Saturday morning, there's like two other people until it hits about 12 or 1pm. Also, the Easter holidays there seem to have started over a week earlier than the regular school ones.

Obviously I can't speak for UCL, nor am I a uni student, but in my experience of being on campuses (Newcastle, Northumbria and Durham) at similar times, that doesn't seem too unusual lol.. especially for such a massive city uni where people and their accommodations are kind of scattered all over the place.

Thanks for the feedback. I think you're right; there are far more interesting things to do on a Saturday morning. I decided to firm my offer so hopefully I'll be finding out for myself in September!:u:

is it really that deep?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending