The Student Room Group

Education 2030 - what is it all about?

As the world is constantly developing, so should we. However, in order to achieve it we need adequate means and occasions. That is why a new course structure called Education 2030 has been introduced recently and has substituted the existing teaching at some universities.

The main goals are to deliver education that meets the needs of a future and changing world and to help students set, follow, and reach their goals. Before you ask, let me tell you how. Students are taught in a focused block format, meaning that one or two subjects are covered at a time instead of several at once. One block lasts seven weeks and finishes with an assessment before moving on to the next one. Thus, students receive quicker feedback and no longer have to revisit knowledge from multiple modules for the summer assessments.

“Nah, it is too good to be true,” I said when I first heard about Education 2030. However, De Montfort University (DMU) has already proven that it is popular and appreciated among students. Data obtained from first-year undergraduates, who have been receiving a ‘block’ teaching, has demonstrated that 93% of them enjoyed studying one subject at a time, and 90% expressed satisfaction with choosing DMU.

Where do such promising statistics come from? Through Education 2030, students are able to closely focus their attention and dedicate more time to each subject, teacher contact time is increased, and timetables can be focused. That leads to a better university-life balance allowing one to experience and engage in all aspects of student life. Therefore, students are given the opportunity to easily make the most of this time.

What is your opinion on Education 2030? Do you think it is better or worse than the existing teaching structure?

You can also listen to other people discussing the idea here.

If you have more questions regarding Education 2030, do not hesitate to ask!

I hope it was helpful :h:

Take care,

Julia
Original post by De Montfort University
As the world is constantly developing, so should we. However, in order to achieve it we need adequate means and occasions. That is why a new course structure called Education 2030 has been introduced recently and has substituted the existing teaching at some universities.

The main goals are to deliver education that meets the needs of a future and changing world and to help students set, follow, and reach their goals. Before you ask, let me tell you how. Students are taught in a focused block format, meaning that one or two subjects are covered at a time instead of several at once. One block lasts seven weeks and finishes with an assessment before moving on to the next one. Thus, students receive quicker feedback and no longer have to revisit knowledge from multiple modules for the summer assessments.

“Nah, it is too good to be true,” I said when I first heard about Education 2030. However, De Montfort University (DMU) has already proven that it is popular and appreciated among students. Data obtained from first-year undergraduates, who have been receiving a ‘block’ teaching, has demonstrated that 93% of them enjoyed studying one subject at a time, and 90% expressed satisfaction with choosing DMU.

Where do such promising statistics come from? Through Education 2030, students are able to closely focus their attention and dedicate more time to each subject, teacher contact time is increased, and timetables can be focused. That leads to a better university-life balance allowing one to experience and engage in all aspects of student life. Therefore, students are given the opportunity to easily make the most of this time.

What is your opinion on Education 2030? Do you think it is better or worse than the existing teaching structure?

You can also listen to other people discussing the idea here.

If you have more questions regarding Education 2030, do not hesitate to ask!

I hope it was helpful :h:

Take care,

Julia

Hi there Julia,
this is such an interesting teaching structure!
I see the pros in this just as much as I see the cons.this teaching method feels somewhat more intensive and maybe the engagement of the students in the subject block would be more. This could be because they can see how all the knowledge fits in with each other. Those stats also show this subject block method is obviously very enjoyable too. I love how this method gives students a better life-uni balance. You said the stats were from 1st year students? Had these students ONLY experienced block subject learning or both in their first year? Also at De Montford University is this teaching layout successful with all subjects?

on the other side of the argument this method of teaching might mean recall is used less by the students - which is a vital part in teaching! As it’s all in once big block of learning, after this block of finished, it’s not recalled as frequently. Furthermore, maybe you could argument attendance could be lower with this teaching method. This is because if someone really dislikes the subject or module, they might be prone to just not coming in for a few weeks til it’s finished. Having the teaching subjects mixed up means usually you have something you like to learn to look forward everyday. what do you think?

Finally, I was looking into this and was looking into your students responses on student room on the new block learning. There was a mix of emotions about the experience. I was wondering how the uni has prepped current students for this change in learning style?

Thank you for such a great discussion post!
I’d love to find out about other students experiences and opinions!

Best wishes
Emily <3
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there Julia,
this is such an interesting teaching structure!
I see the pros in this just as much as I see the cons.this teaching method feels somewhat more intensive and maybe the engagement of the students in the subject block would be more. This could be because they can see how all the knowledge fits in with each other. Those stats also show this subject block method is obviously very enjoyable too. I love how this method gives students a better life-uni balance. You said the stats were from 1st year students? Had these students ONLY experienced block subject learning or both in their first year? Also at De Montford University is this teaching layout successful with all subjects?

on the other side of the argument this method of teaching might mean recall is used less by the students - which is a vital part in teaching! As it’s all in once big block of learning, after this block of finished, it’s not recalled as frequently. Furthermore, maybe you could argument attendance could be lower with this teaching method. This is because if someone really dislikes the subject or module, they might be prone to just not coming in for a few weeks til it’s finished. Having the teaching subjects mixed up means usually you have something you like to learn to look forward everyday. what do you think?

Finally, I was looking into this and was looking into your students responses on student room on the new block learning. There was a mix of emotions about the experience. I was wondering how the uni has prepped current students for this change in learning style?

Thank you for such a great discussion post!
I’d love to find out about other students experiences and opinions!

Best wishes
Emily <3

Hi Emily,

It is lovely to hear from you! Thanks for your involvement into the discussion :h:

Statistics come from the students that joined the university under Education 2030, and since 93% of them expressed satisfaction, these are immensely promising findings. I am looking forward to seeing how they evaluate their experience once they graduate and receive their dissertation grades.

Certainly, one size does not fit all. This year majority of courses have been turned into a block teaching format. There are variations based on the specific requirements of programmes of study. However, some need more reflection and evaluation in order to be successfully transformed into block teaching.

As university experience is about becoming independent and managing one's life when self-studying plays a crucial role in academic achievement, I do believe that self-aware and motivated students will spend some of the additional time they will gain on repetitions. We should definitely promote independence as university shapes us as future adults.

Current students carry on with the existing teaching. The exception is when people decide to do a placement year or go for a student exchange. I am in the same situation because I am going on a student exchange next year. However, I was informed from the very beginning about the changes resulting from the Education 2030 implementation. Additionally, I was offered support, meaning that I could meet with academics to talk about the change in the education programme and what that would mean to me as a student.

Take care,

Julia :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending