The Student Room Group

A-level 2023 Easter revision - How much

I have another week and a day before I go back to college and after seeing videos where people are showing study timetables or either doing immense revision or little revision I need advise of if I'm doing enough

Its Saturday and this week I've done nearly 25 hours within the week - Is that enough, I'm told I need to balance my time more so obviously I've been trying to do that between revision and relaxing because I don't want to burn myself out which has happened before - Also its not like I've only just started either - Within the weeks in Year 13 I've been doing over 15 hours weekly which I'm hoping counts - I just want some advice and maybe reasurance for me doing the right thing

For context I do English Literature, History and Theology A-level
I think it’s more quality than quantity so if your revision incorporates active recall and physically testing urself rather than reading notes or watching yt videos then that’s a good sign! Make sure to do quality revision as time is valuable and you don’t want to waste it. I myself do stem subjects so not entirely sure how humanities work in terms of revision, heard essay plannings are really good? But otherwise you sound really determined to get top grades and that’s the first step so don’t stress too much, do what your doing and reflect on your revision ie. Are you getting the grades you want in mock exams? If not up ur work a bit. It’s the last 2 months final stretch! We can do it all the best xx
Original post by JJ <3
I think it’s more quality than quantity so if your revision incorporates active recall and physically testing urself rather than reading notes or watching yt videos then that’s a good sign! Make sure to do quality revision as time is valuable and you don’t want to waste it. I myself do stem subjects so not entirely sure how humanities work in terms of revision, heard essay plannings are really good? But otherwise you sound really determined to get top grades and that’s the first step so don’t stress too much, do what your doing and reflect on your revision ie. Are you getting the grades you want in mock exams? If not up ur work a bit. It’s the last 2 months final stretch! We can do it all the best xx

Generally active recall is my main thing - Essentially mind maps, answering questions for flash cards, essay planning - things similar - I did get all C’s in my mocks but in that situation I did do hours of revision and literally couldn’t do anymore I was told for two of them what I did wrong so that did slightly help and I was of by one mark in getting a B - I feel like it’s the pressure getting to me - Thanks for the reply anyhow I appreciate it
Original post by Purple fire
Generally active recall is my main thing - Essentially mind maps, answering questions for flash cards, essay planning - things similar - I did get all C’s in my mocks but in that situation I did do hours of revision and literally couldn’t do anymore I was told for two of them what I did wrong so that did slightly help and I was of by one mark in getting a B - I feel like it’s the pressure getting to me - Thanks for the reply anyhow I appreciate it

Yhh the pressures getting to everyone rn last two months 😭 it’s okay just continue doing what ur doing bc u have a good plan rn and let’s hope for the best!
Original post by JJ <3
Yhh the pressures getting to everyone rn last two months 😭 it’s okay just continue doing what ur doing bc u have a good plan rn and let’s hope for the best!

I agree, that'll be enough revision
Reply 5
Personally I would aim for a bit more. You should be spending most of your time revising at this stage, so I’d be aiming for 8-9 hours a day 6 days a week with around 4 hours on the other say.
Original post by Flk10
Personally I would aim for a bit more. You should be spending most of your time revising at this stage, so I’d be aiming for 8-9 hours a day 6 days a week with around 4 hours on the other say.

I do not believe that is sustainable I’ve done around 30 hours this week and I’m already tired from doing that, I remembered telling someone about doing 8 hours per day and they told me that was ridiculous - Out of curiosity are you doing A-levels? How many hours do you do per day? I try not to compare myself to others but sometimes it easier to know if I’m behind or not
Original post by Flk10

I agree with @Purple fire, that seems quite excessive and not realistic for most people. If you can do that, fair play, but I think that the most likely outcome with that schedule is burnout or incredibly ineffective revision (e.g. just going over topics you already know, re-reading notes all day). I truly don't think anyone can intensively concentrate for 9 hours a day. I reckon OP could do an extra 30 mins-1 hour each day if they felt like they weren't doing enough, but it's more about quality over quantity, so as long as those 25 hours have been proper, active revision, then I think they'll be fine
(edited 1 year ago)
My school had an internal exam system at the end of year 12 for our ucas predicted grades, we had to do 2 A2 papers for each subject, I was revising for about 8-11 hours a day for a few weeks, I think it was really bad for my mental health. I ended up being predicted 4 A*s. In my February set of mocks I didn't revise very much and still managed to get A*AAA (it was like the day before for each exam revision lol, some subjects I didn't even do anything) I guess it just depends on how well you retain information and how much you've prepared before hand. I'm still aiming for my 4 A*s so I'm just making resources like mind maps and timelines or doing practice questions for STEM subjects. 8-11 hours of revision arguably worked for me in year 12 but I don't think the mental consequences were worth it.
Good luck everyone xx
Original post by juicygcse
I agree with @Purple fire, that seems quite excessive and not realistic for most people. If you can do that, fair play, but I think that the most likely outcome with that schedule is burnout or incredibly ineffective revision (e.g. just going over topics you already know, re-reading notes all day). I truly don't think anyone can intensively concentrate for 9 hours a day. I reckon OP could do an extra 30 mins-1 hour each day if they felt like they weren't doing enough, but it's more about quality over quantity, so as long as those 25 hours have been proper, active revision, then I think they'll be fine

Agreed, for the average person at least 9 hours for 6 days is likely to end up in burn out realistically, ofc some people can do it but in terms of effectiveness I'd recommend to just make sure quality revision is being done over a shorter period of time

Quick Reply

Latest