The Student Room Group

Where do you buy your music (e.g. CD's) from?

Where do you buy your music (e.g.CD's from)?
I buy CD's from amazon, hmv and charity shops usually.
Amazon, charity shops, craigslist and ebay.
I stream most of my music online but I sometimes buy CDs if they're for sale at gigs, especially for new/ up & coming bands. There's also a few independent record shops I've bought vinyl from before.
Reply 4
I buy a lot of old secondhand CDs from charity shops, and the occasional old CD from eBay or Discogs where I want something more obscure. I keep a look out particularly for releases that were mastered more than 30 years ago (in particular those mastered for CD between the early 1980s and 1991) because these are almost always free of brickwall compression, which is present on the vast majority of newer releases. If you don't know what this is, you might have noticed that CDs released since the mid 1990s tend to be louder than ones that were released 30-40 years ago. This is because of brickwall compression, yet the practice doesn't just make the music louder (which can be achieved on a non-brickwalled CD by turning your volume up by a few notches), it also reduces the fidelity of the music.

Quite a lot of young people claim that they've digged out their parents old vinyl collection and found that it sounds better than the same tracks do on their newly purchased CD or on streaming services. In my experience this is often the case, but only because modern remasters tend to be brickwalled (and also because modern phones typically don't have the best soundcards). A 1980s CD tends to, with the right custom EQ settings, sound better in my experience than a vinyl record, although vinyl does have a charm to it.

Streaming services are very good for browsing through back catalogues of 30+ year old music and determining what you like, but the music industry seems to have ruined the quality of releases in the past 30 years through the almost universal use (outside of classical and jazz) of brickwalling on every new release or remaster, which means that a lot of old music on streaming services doesn't sound as good as it once did (you can hear the music as it was originally intended to sound by buying a used CD that was mastered in the 1980s or early 1990s, assuming that the recording had been released on CD then).
(edited 1 year ago)
I usually buy my CDs second hand from my local record shop and I buy vinyl records from online record shops (like Piccadilly Records), my local record shop or Discogs
Reply 6
Discogs, and direct from bands.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
Discogs, and direct from bands.

I've only bought one thing from Discogs, though my experience was good. It was an old late 1980s CD pressing of Treehouse by The Grapes of Wrath, a Canadian band who are little known in the UK, and in this case I couldn't find any CD copy on sale from UK sellers (it wasn't released on CD outside of Canada). I bought it from a Canadian seller in (if I recall correctly) Winnipeg and it arrived only a week later, which I found pretty good for an international delivery. Luckily I have since found all of their other albums on CD from UK sellers via eBay. Their third and fourth albums were both released on CD in Europe which makes them a little easier to find here, even though the band had virtually no success here and the CDs were probably only pressed for an initial run.

Certainly prior to Brexit, Germany was a pretty good country to look for online sellers selling uncommon items in. I've bought several secondhand things that I couldn't find any UK seller selling from Germany.

Quick Reply

Latest