The Student Room Group

Don’t like messaging friends

Hi,

I’m in year 13 and I’ve never really been someone to message my friends unless it’s for something like homework. I’m always left out of group activities and although I am friendly with lots of people, I’m never invited to parties. Is not messaging people putting me at a disadvantage? I really want to make good friends but I don’t understand when people are always messaging each other. What are they even talking about? Also, messaging stresses me out and drains my social battery way faster. How do people just strike up conversations through messages?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I’m in year 13 and I’ve never really been someone to message my friends unless it’s for something like homework. I’m always left out of group activities and although I am friendly with lots of people, I’m never invited to parties. Is not messaging people putting me at a disadvantage? I really want to make good friends but I don’t understand when people are always messaging each other. What are they even talking about? Also, messaging stresses me out and drains my social battery way faster. How do people just strike up conversations through messages?

Hi!

Wow! You don't do that with your friends too! 😯

From a general point of view, it looks like you are just there when you need them even though you may not be like that. But your behaviour will imply that. Maybe that's why you're being deprived of the invitation 'coz you don't want yourself to connect with them.

There's a certain time when you can text and you know it better as they're your friends. You ask questions like this - what are you up to, talk about hangout, how's their day been (if someone is away) and such things.
Reply 2
These days the easiest way to let people know what is happening is to message, as you can contact a big group in one go. If you don't respond to messages, you'll miss out.

Talk to them face-to-face or pick up the phone. Tell them you don't message much, but please include you in anything about activities. Ask one close friend to keep you informed and practice messaging with them.
Original post by Meheraj
Hi!

Wow! You don't do that with your friends too! 😯

From a general point of view, it looks like you are just there when you need them even though you may not be like that. But your behaviour will imply that. Maybe that's why you're being deprived of the invitation 'coz you don't want yourself to connect with them.

There's a certain time when you can text and you know it better as they're your friends. You ask questions like this - what are you up to, talk about hangout, how's their day been (if someone is away) and such things.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think of it that way. I will make an effort.
Original post by Surnia
These days the easiest way to let people know what is happening is to message, as you can contact a big group in one go. If you don't respond to messages, you'll miss out.

Talk to them face-to-face or pick up the phone. Tell them you don't message much, but please include you in anything about activities. Ask one close friend to keep you informed and practice messaging with them.

thanks, I'll try that
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the reply! I didn't think of it that way. I will make an effort.

No worries! :smile: Yeah, you should try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending