The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

drop one subject

My predicted is A* A* A*, is it possible to drop one A Level subject since the condition offer is only requested A A?
Original post by Anonymous
My predicted is A* A* A*, is it possible to drop one A Level subject since the condition offer is only requested A A?

Only with the permission of the university who made that offer. When you applied you told them you'd be taking three A levels. Even though they haven't specified a grade requirement for the third A level, you may well still be obliged to continue with that subject and take the exams.

Note, however, that this doesn't mean that you have to study for it. Attaining a U grade would meet the condition.

Don't forget to consider other aspects of this decision. If you scale-back you studies because of the A A offer, will you be able to get back into studying 100% when you start uni? Also, is your target career one of those where A levels will be used to distinguish between candidates with the same degree classifications when making employment decisions?

Finally, would you be happy for A A to appear on your CV?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by DataVenia
Only with the permission of the university who made that offer. When you applied you told them you'd be taking three A levels. Even though they haven't specified a grade requirement for the third A level, you may well still be obliged to continue with that subject and take the exams.

Note, however, that this doesn't mean that you have to study for it. Attaining a U grade would meet the condition.

Don't forget to consider other aspects of this decision. If you scale-back you studies because of the A A offer, will you be able to get back into studying 100% when you start uni? Also, is your target career one of those where A levels will be used to distinguish between candidates with the same degree classifications when making employment decisions?

Finally, would you be happy for A A to appear on your CV?

Sorry to be a bother but I wanted to ask what implications would an A A grade have on a CV besides distinguishing candidates.
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry to be a bother but I wanted to ask what implications would an A A grade have on a CV besides distinguishing candidates.

It may misrepresent you abilities. If you were an employer, and you received a CV from someone with just two A levels, would you think "Ah, a university was probably so keen to get this candidate through their doors that they made them a two A level offer, and the candidate opted to drop one." Or would you think, "This candidate might not be capable of handling the workload that studying three A levels requires."

I might be inclined to assume the latter.
Original post by DataVenia
It may misrepresent you abilities. If you were an employer, and you received a CV from someone with just two A levels, would you think "Ah, a university was probably so keen to get this candidate through their doors that they made them a two A level offer, and the candidate opted to drop one." Or would you think, "This candidate might not be capable of handling the workload that studying three A levels requires."

I might be inclined to assume the

really appreciated your kind reply. I forget to mention that I already got A* for mathematics and predicted 3 A* for other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending