The Student Room Group

Is it just a pulled muscle or have I fractured my neck?

I turned my head whilst lying in bed this morning and I then experienced very heavy intense sharp pain im the middle right bone section of my neck.

When I try to turn my head slightly, that portion of the neck starts hurting.

I hope its a pulled muscle.

If my neck was fractured or something wrong will my whole neck be hurting?

It feels like it's near the bone.

However I feel muscle where is hurts by the bone.

If I wish to drink a can, I tilt my head back, I feel intense pain in that area.

It's just the middle bone right hand side of my neck feels like something heavy, something expanded and a sharp pain
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Analyst89
I turned my head whilst lying in bed this morning and I then experienced very heavy intense sharp pain the the middle slightly right section of my neck.

It's just the middle slightly right hand side of my neck feels like something heavy, something expanded and a sharp pain

Sounds like a soft tissue injury. It's highly unlikely that you've fractured your neck. A " cricked" neck can be very painful and can take a while to heal. Take ibuprofen and hopefully it'll settle down.
Reply 2
Original post by Debs25
Sounds like a soft tissue injury. It's highly unlikely that you've fractured your neck. A " cricked" neck can be very painful and can take a while to heal. Take ibuprofen and hopefully it'll settle down.

Thanks, it's just that portion of the neck that hurts.
Original post by Analyst89
I turned my head whilst lying in bed this morning and I then experienced very heavy intense sharp pain im the middle right bone section of my neck.

However I feel muscle where is hurts by the bone.

If I wish to drink a can, I tilt my head back, I feel intense pain in that area.

It's just the middle bone right hand side of my neck feels like something heavy, something expanded and a sharp pain

You wouldn’t be writing the thread if you’d fractured your neck. Use heat to ease the discomfort. Hot water bottle over the area. Make sure you don’t put the hot water bottle straight on skin. Place tea towel over neck first. Have a shower and direct water on affected area with heat at temp you can manage without burning skin. Heat is a very cheap way to soothe aches and pains.

When you have heat on your neck, you can gently do normal neck movements.

Personally, would use paracetamol for the first 72 hours as the necessary inflammatory stage occurs over first 72 hours of injury. Anti inflammatory meds like ibuprofen will prevent this from happening.
Reply 4
It's actually healed now thankfully

Quick Reply

Latest