The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

2 year gap after secondary school

When I was 16 I was stupid and only applied to one college and didnt get in.

I decided to do an access course for finance as they didnt offer a maths course at the time and figured they would be similar.

Since then this access course has destoryed my mental health and Ive been doing it on and off for the last two years. I've always struggled with writting essays and the such and my access course being mainly writting has really made me feel stupid and incapable. I am able to work from home and if anything i prefer it but the constant writting just ruins me.

Im turning 18 soon and a friend reccomended doing a maths course at open university and doing my masters at a brick uni and I decided to do it.

I have not finished my access course and knowing I can go to uni and progress without it has made me want to quit.

However Im worried future employers will notice my lack of level 3 education and realise I will have nothing to show for 2 years. Ive always wanted a comfortable standered office job and im scared this could effect me.

Should I brute force my access course or just quit?

Sorry i know this is super long thanks for reading!!! (i know this is probo in the wrong forum but i didnt know where to put it if anyone knows a better place to post ill move it there sorry)
Hi! A few questions:
1. Do you plan to study with the OU full-time (3 years)? If so, how are your existing maths skills? Have you tried the "are you ready" quizzes for MST124/MST125?
2. When does your access course finish? Would it overlap with the degree at all?
3. Academic writing is an important skill for any degree, even for a less essay-based subject like maths. The fact that your access course focuses on it would seem like a good reason to continue with it, but obviously your mental health has to come first.
4. Is it possible that you have dyslexia or something similar? If you do, and you can get an official diagnosis, you can often get certain accommodations in your course(s). Definitely worth checking.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Im planning on doing a full time course, my maths skills are pretty good (i help my friends study alevel maths and further maths) and I did the quizes and only got a few questions wrong

My access course finishes in a few months and doesnt overlap with my degree.

But yeah I can do academic writing and have gotten mainly merits and distinctions but it takes a lot out of me.

I am mainly worried about what employers will think of the gap if i dont finish the course.

Thank you so much for responding!!!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! A few questions:
1. Do you plan to study with the OU full-time (3 years)? If so, how are your existing maths skills? Have you tried the "are you ready" quizzes for MST124/MST125?
2. When does your access course finish? Would it overlap with the degree at all?
3. Academic writing is an important skill for any degree, even for a less essay-based subject like maths. The fact that your access course focuses on it would seem like a good reason to continue with it, but obviously your mental health has to come first.
4. Is it possible that you have dyslexia or something similar? If you do, and you can get an official diagnosis, you can often get certain accommodations in your course(s). Definitely worth checking.

Im planning on doing a full time course, my maths skills are pretty good (i help my friends study alevel maths and further maths) and I did the quizes and only got a few questions wrong

My access course finishes in a few months and doesnt overlap with my degree.

But yeah I can do academic writing and have gotten mainly merits and distinctions but it takes a lot out of me.

I am mainly worried about what employers will think of the gap if i dont finish the course.

Thank you so much for responding!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest