The Student Room Group

How do I get an A in Higher History

I'm currently a 5th year student and I got a B on my prelim in December. Since the 13th of March I have been studying daily for 3-5 hours daily and plan to do so until my exams are over (each 'history day' either consists of reading over essays, writing out essays or doing past paper questions) I have 4 other subjects so I do them in rotation, my problem is that I overthink alot. Can someone please let me know if i'm doing enough or not?
Reply 1
I did Higher last year and got an A. My key points are:
- Smash the skills questions. They are formulaic, and very little changes. Aim to get near full marks.
- Learn the essays well, particularly those without isolated factors as they can be memorised and short.

I would say that you are probably doing enough, but I am naturally very academic so I'm not best to judge. That said, Higher History can be a lot easier if you take advantage of the 'easy' bits. For instance, in the USA topic, Issue 5/6 are essentially the same, and Skills questions can be memorised.
Reply 2
For the essays I made essay plans with the structure and enough text for each part to help remember the full sentence and learnt that plan. Keep writing out your essays over and over until you can do it without any notes, it’s a lot of writing but you’ll start to remember them!
Reply 3
Original post by laus45
I did Higher last year and got an A. My key points are:
- Smash the skills questions. They are formulaic, and very little changes. Aim to get near full marks.
- Learn the essays well, particularly those without isolated factors as they can be memorised and short.

I would say that you are probably doing enough, but I am naturally very academic so I'm not best to judge. That said, Higher History can be a lot easier if you take advantage of the 'easy' bits. For instance, in the USA topic, Issue 5/6 are essentially the same, and Skills questions can be memorised.

Thank you for replying :smile: I'll definitely focus more on the source questions (my main focus up to now has been essays) and I plan to write up my 4 most strongest essays next week as extra practise (my strongest are women and liberals, changing attitudes and civil rights campaigns). I believe the exam is out of 80 across both papers so that's a little less stressful than I thought originally.
Reply 4
Original post by cammy5
For the essays I made essay plans with the structure and enough text for each part to help remember the full sentence and learnt that plan. Keep writing out your essays over and over until you can do it without any notes, it’s a lot of writing but you’ll start to remember them!

I'll try to do as much writing as possible :smile:
Original post by Sophlizael
I'm currently a 5th year student and I got a B on my prelim in December. Since the 13th of March I have been studying daily for 3-5 hours daily and plan to do so until my exams are over (each 'history day' either consists of reading over essays, writing out essays or doing past paper questions) I have 4 other subjects so I do them in rotation, my problem is that I overthink alot. Can someone please let me know if i'm doing enough or not?

I got an A in Higher last year. You are definitely committing enough time to studying, more so than I did. To study I mostly created online flashcards (brainscape) for each essay, splitting the essays into about 10 flashcards. (intro - context, intro - argument, para 1 - knowledge, para 1 - analysis/evaluation, etc.). I did the same with learning source knowledges on flashcards. Then the couple of weeks before exams I began to do timed past papers for both papers.

I also agree with the points made by others about skill questions. They are inherently easier to get marks on, so make sure you have technique and knowledge nailed for them.

The only other recommendation is making sure the essays you are learning have the best possible evaluation and analysis that you can write. You can learn B essays word for word but they will still be B essays.

Overall, sounds like you are certainly doing enough revision and should be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by harrykerr
I got an A in Higher last year. You are definitely committing enough time to studying, more so than I did. To study I mostly created online flashcards (brainscape) for each essay, splitting the essays into about 10 flashcards. (intro - context, intro - argument, para 1 - knowledge, para 1 - analysis/evaluation, etc.). I did the same with learning source knowledges on flashcards. Then the couple of weeks before exams I began to do timed past papers for both papers.

This also! I forgot to mention it, but I did that exact thing. It's a bit arduous, but totally worth it. Also found https://mrmarrhistory.wordpress.com/higher/ quite good for essays if it covers your topics, they are very consise and marks focused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending