The Student Room Group

Advice for taking a year out from Uni

I am currently coming to the end of my second year in uni, and am currently working a part-time job. I have been offered a full-time contract where I currently work and am considering it however, it would mean that I would not have the time to attend Uni. So I have considered taking a year out of Uni so that I can take up the full time job.

Has anyone got any experience with taking a year out from USW and if so have you got any advice/know what I need to do?
@IcyCoffee

Congrats on the job offer!

Many students do a placement year, so it is not unusual for students to complete their studies afterwards. The only thing I would say is that if the job is not an area you are planning to go into in the future, it might be an idea to finish your degree, as it could be easy to end up staying for more than a year and it could make it more difficult for you to return to your studies.

Is it a job you want to do after university?
Is it possible to continue doing part-time and to potentially do a year with them after completing your degree?
Have you spoken to your tutor about taking a year out?

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Hey there,

As said above many students will take a year out to work in a field relative to their degree or study abroad. Students may also take a gap year to just have a break from their studies and/or to earn a bit of extra cash.

If your job is related to your degree and will benefit your CV for when you graduate then 100% go for it! If you haven't already, get in touch with your careers support within the uni - they can help you through the steps of taking a year out, placement supervision etc. They normally have deadlines for you to secure a placement.

If your job isn't related then it's up to you if you want to take the year out, but again it's worth seeking advice from careers. As pointed above, it can be easy to get comfortable not studying at working full time instead (I did this following college!) so I would make sure you're able to return to your degree, as you only have a year of study left :smile: That being said, there might even be time to find a placement relative to your degree instead, some of them are paid you just need to look high and low (careers can help with this too).

Everyones journey through university is very different, so if it feels right for you go for it.

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending