The Student Room Group

Computer science uni scholarships

I would like to know if there are types of scholarships available to students studying computer science at undergrad level in the UK.
I'm a home student
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by albayati
I would like to know if there are types of scholarships available to students studying computer science at undergrad level in the UK.

Are you a UK or International student? (That often impacts the scholarships available.)

Scholarships are often made available via your home country (because it benefits the country to have educated citizens) or via the target university (using funds from alumni or local businesses).

As a result, it's a hard question to answer generally as it will vary by your country and your target university. The simplest answer is, "Probably".

There are over 150 universities in the UK. Have you narrowed-down your search at all yet?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Are you a UK or International student? (That often impacts the scholarships available.)

Scholarships are often made available via your home country (because it benefits the country to have educated citizens) or via the target university (using funds from alumni or local businesses).

As a result, it's a hard question to answer generally as it will vary by your country and your target university. The simplest answer is, "Probably".

There are over 150 universities in the UK. Have you narrowed-down your search at all yet?

UK student
UK student

OK. I see you've posted in the King's College London forum before, so let's check-out what scholarships they offer, here. Note that you don't want to pick Computer Science from their drop-down list, as they will show you scholarships which are only available to students subjects studying that degree. Instead, leave it at "All subject areas" but change "Any funding status" to Home. Then pick "Undergraduate" and "Prospective student" on the right.

There are six options listed. We can ignore the bottom two as they're only applicable to those with residency in the US. However, we still have:

Amos Bursary
Doo Scholarship
Febbraro Scholarship
Kenshole Family Scholarship

If you read through the eligibility criteria for each, it's clear that the Febbraro Scholarship and Kenshole Family Scholarship is no good, as they're only applicable to students taking medical degrees. Take a look through the eligibility criteria for the other two to see if you're eligible.

You can repeat the above process at any target university. There is no short cut (that I'm aware of) to this process.

BTW, if you're a home (UK) student, is there a reason you're not planning on doing what the vast majority of students do and using a student loan to fund your studies?
in the UK scholarships are usually pretty modest amounts of money - if your objective is to graduate without student debt you could have a look at degree apprenticeships.
I'm a home student

Hi there

You can find information about scholarships available at Kent here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/scholarships
You can also find information about our computer science course here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ec_ug_late_app_2023&utm_content=subject_comp_sci_ads&gclid=CjwKCAjw8-OhBhB5EiwADyoY1Wyt2lJ4uLJkoz8da-Csm6nyO4E8mGNWsrVdTxDZkVisakvwCyJuQhoC0ioQAvD_BwE

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending