The Student Room Group

Durham, Notts, or Warwick for Law?!?!?!?

I have offers from Durham, Nottingham and Warwick for Law and I can’t decide what to put as my firm and insurance. The matters of social life isn’t really something I care about so I am mainly focusing on employability and international standard. Any advice as to what I should choose?
Reply 1
In order to answer this we need to know what the grades in each offer are!
Assuming Durham is A*AA and you think you can achieve I’d put that firm. It’s a toss up between Notts & Warwick as they are both pretty much the same for law, comes down to location & course modules which suit you best etc. I personally prefer Nottingham as I like the campus & city, but either would be good as insurance (assuming they’re AAA). But as PP says, useful to know your offers as that could change things.
I personally didn't even apply to Durham even though I reckon I had a good chance of getting an offer with my LNAT (29) purely because of how far up north the university is. I wouldn't be able to get home conveniently or attend work experiences that I'm guessing will primarily be based in London for firms. I do however have an offer from Warwick which isn't exactly right next to London but much more manageable, and I know some people that have got into MC firms after going to Warwick if that helps. Also, Warwick is AAA which is a bit of a bonus ig. Idk about Notts but it's also up north so I wouldn't have considered it.
I also have an offer from QMUL, but I think I might go to Warwick since it's a more renowned university.
Original post by PearlK
I have offers from Durham, Nottingham and Warwick for Law and I can’t decide what to put as my firm and insurance. The matters of social life isn’t really something I care about so I am mainly focusing on employability and international standard. Any advice as to what I should choose?

Depending on the offer conditions. Durham as firm, then decide between Notts and Warwick

If you choose Durham, select Hatfield as your college
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by PearlK

Have you ever been to Durham ?

It’s in like the ass end of nowhere
Reply 6
Original post by Artjen
In order to answer this we need to know what the grades in each offer are!

I am from Ireland so the grading is different however they are all achievable!
Original post by toxicgamage56
I personally didn't even apply to Durham even though I reckon I had a good chance of getting an offer with my LNAT (29) purely because of how far up north the university is. I wouldn't be able to get home conveniently or attend work experiences that I'm guessing will primarily be based in London for firms. I do however have an offer from Warwick which isn't exactly right next to London but much more manageable, and I know some people that have got into MC firms after going to Warwick if that helps. Also, Warwick is AAA which is a bit of a bonus ig. Idk about Notts but it's also up north so I wouldn't have considered it.
I also have an offer from QMUL, but I think I might go to Warwick since it's a more renowned university.

Nottingham is in the midlands and to so travel to London is about 5 mins longer than Warwick to London on the train, so there’s literally nothing in it if that’s a factor. I guess distance to home might be a thing though.
Original post by PearlK
I am from Ireland so the grading is different however they are all achievable!

In that case between Notts & Warwick you might want to look at which is nearest an airport that can get you home most easily… Durham, the nearest airport would be Newcastle and I believe there are regular, quick flights to Ireland.
Original post by BarryScott2022
Nottingham is in the midlands and to so travel to London is about 5 mins longer than Warwick to London on the train, so there’s literally nothing in it if that’s a factor. I guess distance to home might be a thing though.

Ah yeah, idk about Notts tbh, but ig it's a similar choice to Warwick then.
Ah yeah, idk about Notts tbh, but ig it's a similar choice to Warwick then.

Yeah I knew there wasn’t much in it. But as you say if it’s further to go home that’s a consideration too. Notts is handy for Leeds too if interested in a northern circuit firm - some of the London firms have Leeds offices also. It’s just weighing it all up I guess.
Reply 11

How would work experience be in place for those unis up north?
Reply 12
Original post by Wired_1800
Depending on the offer conditions. Durham as firm, then decide between Notts and Warwick

If you choose Durham, select Hatfield as your college

The colleges in Durham are stunning. Hatfield or St Mary’s 🙏
Reply 13
Original post by BarryScott2022
In that case between Notts & Warwick you might want to look at which is nearest an airport that can get you home most easily… Durham, the nearest airport would be Newcastle and I believe there are regular, quick flights to Ireland.

That is perfect. I thought I would have to take a flight from Wales but you have saved me
Original post by PearlK
That is perfect. I thought I would have to take a flight from Wales but you have saved me

Double check it out (Newcastle airport) but fairly sure they do v regular flights to Belfast & Dublin etc.

Re work experience, depends what you’re after. Only Durham is true North, as I explained Warwick & Nottingham are Midlands so it’s quite easy to get into London in just over 1.5 hrs.

Tbh people get a bit London centric about law firms. If you want MC/SC then yes you need London but there are some excellent top 100 transatlantic firms in the regions such as Newcastle & Leeds, and the latter has long been seen as the legal centre of the North & isn’t far on the train, just a few stops from Durham. Also for Durham there are direct trains on the East Coast (from Durham directly) which can get you into London in 3 hours.

Not going to London for your degree isn’t going to stop you doing things, it might just mean if you get work experience there you might need to organise hotel accom for a few nights etc. It’s all doable from all 3 unis, just a bit further from Durham.
Firm Durham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending