The Student Room Group

Who to ask for a reference (master's)?

I've got a conditional offer for my dream master's, but as one of the conditions they've asked me for an academic reference (used an employer reference when I applied). This shouldn't be a problem since I had good grades, attendance etc at uni, but I'm not sure who is best to ask for the ref. At first I thought my dissertation supervisor would be the best bet, but although I got a good mark on my diss, it isn't really relevant to the course I applied for- my first degree was foreign languages and my diss was all literature/media analysis, while the master's is in speech and language therapy so more science-based. I got on fine with my supervisor but we only had like four meetings, and she didn't know me as well as some of my professors.

Would it be a bad move to ask my supervisor for the reference, because of my diss topic? Would it be better to ask one of my professors who knew me a bit better and could comment on my language skills, which is more relevant to the course? Or do they just want to know that I'm academically capable etc? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm really worried I'll lose my place on the course if the reference isn't good enough :frown: Advice??
Unless they’re specified, they’ll just want a broadly positive reference. You’ve already got an offer, they’re not tying to catch you out.

I would use whoever you are on good terms with who is familiar with your academic work.
Ask your course administrator and they will pass to your course director.
Either is up to you really. Best to ask 2-3 people, including your course supervisor and diss supervisor, and see who replies yes. Sometimes they are busy and so they might not have the time to write one but will let you know. And it’s better to have maybe a back up, in case the other can’t for some reason. Just be sure to be polite when asking them.

As the other reply says, you have the offer now so like a job reference it’s just someone to vouch that there are no red flags about accepting you and that you have the capacity / ability to be able to study and complete the research. Ultimately, in providing you a reference they are putting their rep to an extent on the line, saying to a colleague ‘yea, this person is able to do this’ then it’s up to you to prove it.
Original post by squid2013
I've got a conditional offer for my dream master's, but as one of the conditions they've asked me for an academic reference (used an employer reference when I applied). This shouldn't be a problem since I had good grades, attendance etc at uni, but I'm not sure who is best to ask for the ref. At first I thought my dissertation supervisor would be the best bet, but although I got a good mark on my diss, it isn't really relevant to the course I applied for- my first degree was foreign languages and my diss was all literature/media analysis, while the master's is in speech and language therapy so more science-based. I got on fine with my supervisor but we only had like four meetings, and she didn't know me as well as some of my professors.

Would it be a bad move to ask my supervisor for the reference, because of my diss topic? Would it be better to ask one of my professors who knew me a bit better and could comment on my language skills, which is more relevant to the course? Or do they just want to know that I'm academically capable etc? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm really worried I'll lose my place on the course if the reference isn't good enough :frown: Advice??

Hello @squid2013

I hope you are well. Personally, when I applied for my masters degree, I used any previous work experience that directly related to the course as a reference as it shows strong connections, authenticity and interest in your chosen university course.

For example, when I applied to study an MSc in Psychology, I had already trained as a meditation teacher, which gave me a lot of experience within the scientific areas of the brain including consciousness and neuroplasticity. Due to this direct link with psychology, the lady who taught me how to become a meditation teacher was happy to write a reference for me explaining why I would be a good student for the psychology course. This reference was accepted and I got onto the course.

Any work, voluntary work, courses, teachers etc. Anyone who you will would be directly related to the course to provide sufficient evidence would be useful :smile:. Therefore, I think it would be absolutely fine to ask your supervisor as she is an academic professional who can provide a lot of information about your experience and you as a student :smile:

Hope this helps! and good luck!

- Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending