The Student Room Group

The system for academic references in postgrad applications is broken

Most universities often require at least 1 academic reference, which means you would have to make sure your professors have a good impression of you in order for them to have something positive to write about, let alone be willing to write it.
But what happens when someone out of university for over 3 years decides to pursue postgraduate? Like it doesn’t really make sense for you to reach out to professors that haven’t seen you in a long time asking them to write a reference. It’s almost like masters courses are closed off to people once they leave academia, and designed for you to take them immediately after your undergraduate, it just doesn’t make sense
Reply 1
I'm pretty many postgraduate courses allow you to use professional references if you haven't been in academia in a while
Original post by wchan01
Most universities often require at least 1 academic reference, which means you would have to make sure your professors have a good impression of you in order for them to have something positive to write about, let alone be willing to write it.
But what happens when someone out of university for over 3 years decides to pursue postgraduate? Like it doesn’t really make sense for you to reach out to professors that haven’t seen you in a long time asking them to write a reference. It’s almost like masters courses are closed off to people once they leave academia, and designed for you to take them immediately after your undergraduate, it just doesn’t make sense

You can get a reference from a university based on your academic results years after the event. I've got them 15 and 5 years later quite easily. There is no harm to your application in these references, the admissions team recognise them.

Having a gap in education is not any problem. You can use a professional reference for that 'personal' element.
Reply 3
I feel you. I graduated 10 years ago from a European Uni (so basically no contact with professors), and it's proving to be a huge disadvantage now that I'm applying for a Masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending