The Student Room Group

To which extent do doctors know biochemistry?

How much biochemistry do doctors know? I am interested in biochemistry and I plan to study medicine in the future. Recently, I've been learning something about metabolisms and went little deeper to the mitochondrial shuttles and I asked myself weather every single doctor, I would've asked, would've been able to talk about it, or whether only some professions. Do doctors also remember all enzymes connected with all metabolisms by heart?
Original post by The Vagrant
How much biochemistry do doctors know? I am interested in biochemistry and I plan to study medicine in the future. Recently, I've been learning something about metabolisms and went little deeper to the mitochondrial shuttles and I asked myself weather every single doctor, I would've asked, would've been able to talk about it, or whether only some professions. Do doctors also remember all enzymes connected with all metabolisms by heart?

It's not taught in huge depth at most medical schools. I learnt way more biochemistry in my biomed degree compared with medical school.

After graduation the amount you learn (and remember) varies a lot. A consultant in metabolic medicine or clinical biochemistry will know a lot more about it than an ENT surgeon, because they're using that knowledge every day at work.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending