The Student Room Group

What to do in the future?

I have been feeling a bit lost, I have no places at uni for next year. I’m not sure whether to just do a course related to my a levels from clearing (if I get decent results). Or should I just take a gap year and try to ‘find myself’, I just really scared about being ‘left behind’ as all my friends go off to uni. Any advice would be appreciated.
Ik it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about what your other peers are doing. There's no reason to rush through life just because that's what everyone else is doing. It's important to take your time to figure things out so you can do something you truly enjoy - whether that be uni or something else. If there's something in clearing that you genuinely think you'd enjoy then absolutely go for it. But make sure it's for yourself and no one else. If you're not sure about what you want to study, then take a year out to work and do some self-reflection before applying to something you'll actually enjoy. Remember uni is an investment, so you should do something that you'll enjoy and that will be useful to you in the future.

Even if you take a year out, that's not you falling behind anything - it's you taking your time. And that's ok because it's important to do things at your own pace. Good luck! I hope you're happy with how your exams go.
don't worry about being left behind, you will talk to 0 of these people in about 6 months. Maybe 1, and if they still talk to you, they're a good friend and won't care about your UCAS options
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Ik it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about what your other peers are doing. There's no reason to rush through life just because that's what everyone else is doing. It's important to take your time to figure things out so you can do something you truly enjoy - whether that be uni or something else. If there's something in clearing that you genuinely think you'd enjoy then absolutely go for it. But make sure it's for yourself and no one else. If you're not sure about what you want to study, then take a year out to work and do some self-reflection before applying to something you'll actually enjoy. Remember uni is an investment, so you should do something that you'll enjoy and that will be useful to you in the future.

Even if you take a year out, that's not you falling behind anything - it's you taking your time. And that's ok because it's important to do things at your own pace. Good luck! I hope you're happy with how your exams go.

Thank you so much for the help. I definitely won’t push myself to do a degree in something I don’t enjoy and will try to use these next few months to see if there is something I would like to study. If not I guess I will take the gap year and try to make it as productive as possible.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
don't worry about being left behind, you will talk to 0 of these people in about 6 months. Maybe 1, and if they still talk to you, they're a good friend and won't care about your UCAS options

Yeah, so far my friends are supportive of a gap year, but we will see.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for the help. I definitely won’t push myself to do a degree in something I don’t enjoy and will try to use these next few months to see if there is something I would like to study. If not I guess I will take the gap year and try to make it as productive as possible.

That sounds like a good plan!! Good luck with the future :smile:
Original post by kaorimiyazono
That sounds like a good plan!! Good luck with the future :smile:

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest