The Student Room Group

new driver paranoia

I am a fairly new driver in my late 30s and in the last month or so I've had my first car I've been driving almost every day. I really enjoy the experience and it helps I have a half decent car to drive. I waited several years to learn as I didn't bother to learn living in London nearly my entire life so I guess this is catching up for all that lost time.
However despite this, since I started I have developed what I would call new driver paranoia. Every week, I keep having this thought that my mistakes are being captured and watched on camera and I have had a few sloppy moments. I then go on Google maps and examine the area and try and see if there are any cameras or cctv in that specific area!

Anyway, I have received one fine so far for going down a "no motor vehicles" zone which was really annoying as the car sat nav led me down a strange road where this was (still my fault though)! And I think I may have one more to come for going down another no motor vehicles zone...sigh.

But at least these ones are just fines, and I can deal with the fines, I just can't have any points and I think that's what's stressing me out. You get 6 points and your license is revoked. And I realise this is for more serious offences but still, I am anxious because it seems harsh. I feel like this could easily happen with alot of people out there. That said, I don't speed, infact I'm very careful with this and I will never run a red light or drive recklessly, obviously but the thought or slipping up and being caught is causing this tension. It is a disruptive feeling because my driving itself is fine, I'm feeling very confident in my actual ability and skill and I do believe I drive well, it's just worrying about the odd mistake here or there and I guess being at the wrong time and wrong place.

I know most of you have been driving for many years most likely but I wonder if anyone had these same feelings when you first started to drive. I should say driving in London also can be a whole different experience than the rest of the country, where I believe the experience is so much less stressful.
Original post by shorttermnomad
I am a fairly new driver in my late 30s and in the last month or so I've had my first car I've been driving almost every day. I really enjoy the experience and it helps I have a half decent car to drive. I waited several years to learn as I didn't bother to learn living in London nearly my entire life so I guess this is catching up for all that lost time.
However despite this, since I started I have developed what I would call new driver paranoia. Every week, I keep having this thought that my mistakes are being captured and watched on camera and I have had a few sloppy moments. I then go on Google maps and examine the area and try and see if there are any cameras or cctv in that specific area!

Anyway, I have received one fine so far for going down a "no motor vehicles" zone which was really annoying as the car sat nav led me down a strange road where this was (still my fault though)! And I think I may have one more to come for going down another no motor vehicles zone...sigh.

But at least these ones are just fines, and I can deal with the fines, I just can't have any points and I think that's what's stressing me out. You get 6 points and your license is revoked. And I realise this is for more serious offences but still, I am anxious because it seems harsh. I feel like this could easily happen with alot of people out there. That said, I don't speed, infact I'm very careful with this and I will never run a red light or drive recklessly, obviously but the thought or slipping up and being caught is causing this tension. It is a disruptive feeling because my driving itself is fine, I'm feeling very confident in my actual ability and skill and I do believe I drive well, it's just worrying about the odd mistake here or there and I guess being at the wrong time and wrong place.

I know most of you have been driving for many years most likely but I wonder if anyone had these same feelings when you first started to drive. I should say driving in London also can be a whole different experience than the rest of the country, where I believe the experience is so much less stressful.

Dont worry too much.
Most people make the odd mistake whilst driving, especially when they are a relatively new driver. Some drivers drive like idiots for a while until the novelty wears off (which you arent doing) and some have the odd scrape (e.g. reversing into posts etc). By the sounds of it you know where you went wrong and have learnt from it, which is a good thing (basically sat navs are useful, but dont blindly follow them and use your common sense).
The more you drive the more confident you will become.
I've been to London a few times, not driving, and can only sympathise with those that use its roads daily. It looks like it must suck. However, when I was learning, and even now, I find reading the road ahead, watching signs and road markings, to be uber-effective at making me a better driver. I can't say I was similar in terms of driving nerves, but when I was learning to drive every mistake felt like the end of the world, and it took some strength to not let it push me a step back. As above said, just drive your drive, everyone makes mistakes no matter their experience, but the important thing is to keep driving so you continue to develop your skills and gain confidence. Don't stress! (easier said then done I know)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending