The Student Room Group

No clue of future job and picking A Level options

I dont have a clue of what I wanna do in the future cuz I like so many things. Im very sure about choosing sociology and either psychology or business. I also really love physics, so I wanna know

1. Psychology or Business as my second subject?
2. Is it worth taking a science subject like Physics alongs with two social
sciences?
3. Do my AS/A level options have to be related or in the same field? Like strictly social science, strictly business, or strictly natural science and math.
4. Is it harder to manage different subjects in different fields?

A lot of people js stare in confusion when I say Im planning on taking physics with my two other subjects which are completely social sciences.
You really seem to be drawn towards social sciences. Go for it whether it's sociology, psychology etc. There is no limit you can keep on taking short courses for your other interests and there is also graduate programs that combines it up. The sky is the limit
Original post by jewhad
I dont have a clue of what I wanna do in the future cuz I like so many things. Im very sure about choosing sociology and either psychology or business. I also really love physics, so I wanna know

sciences?
3. Do my AS/A level options have to be related or in the same field? Like strictly social science, strictly business, or strictly natural science and math.

A lot of people js stare in confusion when I say Im planning on taking physics with my two other subjects which are completely social sciences.

Physics would be better with Maths. I dont think taking Physics with social services will help at university level,

As far as Psychology or business it depends on your preference and what you are good at. Given your interests I would lean towards Psychology.

Subjects dont have to be from the same area but some areas for degrees such as Engineering will require Physics and Maths.
Original post by jewhad

sciences?

Heya!
I would recommend checking out uniguide alvl explorer (courses) and prospects (career). Explore some courses first and look at their entry requirements :h: List down what alvls you need from those courses and decide from there. If there is nothing specific then any alvl will do, so choose your fav one!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by jewhad

sciences?

Hi there!

As other people have mentioned, it depends on the course that you are interested in. I have just graduated from Lancaster University with a Natural Sciences BSc so thought I could give my experience with the degree as it sounds like it could be something that could work well with your choices if you chose physics and psychology. Natural Sciences degrees tend to vary by university, so it's definitely worth having a look around to see what course is right for you. At Lancaster, the degree is very flexible, you can choose 3 pathways out of a possible 21. The subjects range from physics, psychology, geography, computer science, engineering, earth sciences, and more, so there are many different possible combinations! The complete list of different pathways is in the brochure which can be found here - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/ . You can also study a subject outside of the sciences as one of your pathways, so could continue with sociology if that was something that you were passionate about.

Overall, I would say check out the requirements for some degree courses that you would be interested in to make sure you are hitting the requirements, past that point go with what you enjoy. You will get the most out of the course that way and will probably find learning the content much more enjoyable too. I studied Mechanical Engineering and Physical Geography as part of my Natural Sciences degree and had lots of people asking how they fit together but those were the subjects I loved!

Some people find it harder to study different subjects in different fields because you have to switch between different ways of working but I actually enjoyed the variety in types of work - for example worksheets in maths, reading in geography, and labs in engineering. I also slowly found the crossover in my subjects, renewable energies and climate change, which is now the sector that I have found a graduate scheme in!

Best of luck with all of your decisions, if you have any further questions, feel free to let me know!

- Bethan (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
This might help you...

‘Facilitating’ A-Levels and career opportunities:
Art: 3-Dimensional Design Commercial Art, Sculpting, Interior Design, Architecture, Animation, Arts Administration, Conservation, Restoration, Art Therapy
Art: Textile Design Textile Design, Fashion Design, Interior Design, Costume Design, Jewellery Design, Industrial Design, Trend Prediction, Marketing/PR, Merchandising
Biology Medicine, Dentistry, Midwifery, Nursing, Radiography, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy, Veterinary
Chemistry Medicine, Pharmaceutical, Dentistry, Chemical Engineering, Oceanography, Geology, Veterinary Medicine, Patent Attorney
Computer Science Software/Website Development, Games design, Systems Management, Database/Network Administration, Multimedia Programming, IT Consultancy
Economics Accountancy, Market Research, Data Analyst, Economist, Journalism, Stockbroking, Banking, Politics, Quantity Surveying, Management Consultant
English Literature Copywriting, Journalism, Editing, Teaching, Writer, Lawyer, Marketing, Social Media, Script Writer, Actor
French Interpreter / Translator, International Finance, Teacher, Journalist, Diplomat, International Aid, Marketing, Logistics and Distribution, Fashion Management
Further Mathematics Accountancy, Surveying, Computing/IT, Statistician, Systems Developer, Financial Trading, Insurance, Engineering,
German Interpreter / Translator, International Finance, Teacher, Journalist, Diplomat, International Aid, Marketing, Logistics and Distribution, Fashion Management
History Banking and Accountancy, Politics, Teaching, Journalism, Lawyer, Public Relations
Mathematics Computing/IT, Statistician, Systems Developer, Financial Trading, Insurance, Engineering, Architect, Economist
Physics Engineering, Geophysicist, Metallurgist, Research Scientist, Seismic Interpreter, Investment Analyst, Meteorologist, Nuclear Engineer, Patent Attorney
Spanish - Interpreter / Translator, International Finance, Teacher, Journalist, Diplomat, International Aid, Marketing, Logistics and Distribution, Fashion Management

Quick Reply

Latest