The Student Room Group

Which degree should I pursue as a graduate?

Hi! I am currently a 2nd year BSc Bioscience student and have some ideas about where I'd like to go next. I know a lot of people don't trust or believe in the Myers-brigg personality test but I am very much an ENFP type and an ennanragram 9 (peacemaker) person, despite me not using this to determine what I should do they were very accurate for me somehow if that gives any insight into me!

Anyway, the jobs that interest me I have included below. I need to do some more work experience this summer as I am currently a part time teaching assistant and healthcare assistant but only recently starting.

- PGCE Teaching
- MSc Nursing (/Midwifery - though I believe this needs to be undergraduate?)
- MSc Physiotherapy
- MSc Occupational Therapy
- MSc Paramedic Science
- MSc Speech and Language Pathology

I understand that these are all very different but I know for sure I would like to work with people in a caring and direct role so wanted to keep my options open.

Has anyone had any experience in any of these areas as an undergraduate or graduate and how have you found it? Any advice or insight is hugely appreciated! Thank you so much :-)
Reply 1
I think as an ENFP you'd be great at helping people. Out of the courses you outlined, PGCE and Speech and Language Pathology sound like they would suit you most!
Do you like high stress situations? The answer to that would rule in or out a couple of the options.
Thank you so much! I definitely want to look into these more :smile:
Original post by kwtkwsk
I think as an ENFP you'd be great at helping people. Out of the courses you outlined, PGCE and Speech and Language Pathology sound like they would suit you most!
Original post by juniper_542
Hi! I am currently a 2nd year BSc Bioscience student and have some ideas about where I'd like to go next. I know a lot of people don't trust or believe in the Myers-brigg personality test but I am very much an ENFP type and an ennanragram 9 (peacemaker) person, despite me not using this to determine what I should do they were very accurate for me somehow if that gives any insight into me!

Anyway, the jobs that interest me I have included below. I need to do some more work experience this summer as I am currently a part time teaching assistant and healthcare assistant but only recently starting.

- PGCE Teaching
- MSc Nursing (/Midwifery - though I believe this needs to be undergraduate?)
- MSc Physiotherapy
- MSc Occupational Therapy
- MSc Paramedic Science
- MSc Speech and Language Pathology

I understand that these are all very different but I know for sure I would like to work with people in a caring and direct role so wanted to keep my options open.

Has anyone had any experience in any of these areas as an undergraduate or graduate and how have you found it? Any advice or insight is hugely appreciated! Thank you so much :-)

Hi @juniper_542,

I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do after my undergraduate degree, but I knew I wanted to work with children. I went to a teacher training information event, which really helped me decide what to do...I did a teacher training course and became a primary school teacher :smile:

If you have a university or universities in mind, it'd be an idea to see if they have any open days coming up so you can find out more about their postgrad courses and maybe even speak to some current students!

We have some open days coming at the University of Suffolk (see https://www.uos.ac.uk/opendays for dates), and have a range of postgraduate courses which may be of interest...here's a link to our course list https://www.uos.ac.uk/course-list?search_api_views_fulltext=&field_study_mode%5B%5D=41&field_study_mode%5B%5D=42&field_course_level%5B%5D=146

Hope that helps a bit,

Amy
University of Suffolk Official Rep
Original post by ajj2000
Do you like high stress situations? The answer to that would rule in or out a couple of the options.

Oooh yeah I think I would quite enjoy quite a busy environment as I am able to deal with stress and pressure quite well. However, I am trying to figure out which job would be best lifestyle wise as I have a younger brother (10yrs younger) who is autistic and from what we know so far I think I'm going to have to be around for him a lot as an adult. I preferably would like a job where I can have quite a bit of time off to do things with him when he's older, hence the teaching option as even though I'll have work to do in the holidays its great as the summer break is long and not broken up which could be good. But I want to make sure I pick the right job for what I will enjoy too which is quite confusing haha
Original post by juniper_542
Oooh yeah I think I would quite enjoy quite a busy environment as I am able to deal with stress and pressure quite well. However, I am trying to figure out which job would be best lifestyle wise as I have a younger brother (10yrs younger) who is autistic and from what we know so far I think I'm going to have to be around for him a lot as an adult. I preferably would like a job where I can have quite a bit of time off to do things with him when he's older, hence the teaching option as even though I'll have work to do in the holidays its great as the summer break is long and not broken up which could be good. But I want to make sure I pick the right job for what I will enjoy too which is quite confusing haha

Love your way of thinking and researching! Will consider further and revert.
Hi , i’m currently in the same dilemma, i’m a second year student studying public health (regretting it everyday)

my options are very similar to you
-paramedic
-occupational therapy
-nursing
-social work
-teaching

i realised teaching is not for me due to the amount of work it includes, having to plan 5 lessons per day for 5 days a week, marking, classroom prep etc
i also realised social work isn’t for me as i wanted to do something more health related or teaching/development based.
i like paramedic science however i don’t think i’ll be good in an environment that is so fast paced and one where you constantly have to act fast and make quick decisions in a matter of seconds all the time

my top two choices is OT and nursing. i’m hoping by july latest i have chosen what i want to do so i can start writing my personal statement and apply nice and early (october)

i can see you want a career in helping people. there’s loads to consider such as the way you want to help people, how are you in fast pace environments, how will u cope with being burnt out and on ur feet for 12 hours, what age category do you want to work with (children,adults, all ages ?),does fast career progression matter to you?

try also taking a skills test / career test online like on the nhs careers website or the gov.uk website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending