The Student Room Group

I am stuck

I am currently in my second year at college doing a level 3 extended diploma in computing, working towards atleast a DMM by the end of the year. However, although I work hard on my assignments I have really really lost interest in the course and the subject area of computer science in general. I even applied to 5 universities and got offers to study computer science there in September but after thinking long and hard I dont think I could work in programming. I was wondering if it were possible to contact the universites and say that I would rather switch to a philosophy course instead to start in September. My other option would be to take three different A levels in September 2023 but by then I would be 18 and much rather study philosophy as a degree. Can anyone give me some guidance on my options please?
Original post by 748slade
I am currently in my second year at college doing a level 3 extended diploma in computing, working towards atleast a DMM by the end of the year. However, although I work hard on my assignments I have really really lost interest in the course and the subject area of computer science in general. I even applied to 5 universities and got offers to study computer science there in September but after thinking long and hard I dont think I could work in programming. I was wondering if it were possible to contact the universites and say that I would rather switch to a philosophy course instead to start in September. My other option would be to take three different A levels in September 2023 but by then I would be 18 and much rather study philosophy as a degree. Can anyone give me some guidance on my options please?

For any universities from which you've received offers, you can contact them and ask to switch course. The sooner you do this the better.

Note that it's quite a switch you're proposing, so they may ask you to send an updated Personal Statement.
Original post by DataVenia
For any universities from which you've received offers, you can contact them and ask to switch course. The sooner you do this the better.

Note that it's quite a switch you're proposing, so they may ask you to send an updated Personal Statement.

I agree in fact I'd start drafting a new PS now if they don't allow a switch you could reject all your offers and go through extra and/or clearing. joining uni at 20 or so isn't a bad thing my brother did that. I started at 21 don't make the mistake of not joining in because your a couple of years older and you'll be fine. We had a guy who was 30 in the climbing club (we called him Dad although he wasn't anyone's farther) and he was very popular..
Reply 3
How about taking some time off until the decision making process is easier to make?

My feeling is that you need to be very clear about this and realize the future consequences when it comes to job opportunities.
@748slade

There is nothing wrong with wanting to change direction, but why do you want to study philosophy?

Can you see yourself studying philosophy for three years?

Have you checked out any philosophy courses?

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Contact the unis now to see if you can switch. Philosophy is not an oversubscribed course but your extended diploma in computing may be a hindrance; most philosophy courses would like to see an essay-based subject in the mix.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending