The Student Room Group

48hr exams and insomnia from stress

If anyone could please give me advice on how to overcome insomnia induced by the stress of exams that would be great.

I have previously tried herbal teas, walking outside, trying to destress but it was not effective as I get extremely stressed.

My exams are very important so I do not want sleep to prohibit me.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Asmr always works on me
Original post by wormburnz
If anyone could please give me advice on how to overcome insomnia induced by the stress of exams that would be great.

I have previously tried herbal teas, walking outside, trying to destress but it was not effective as I get extremely stressed.

Have you discussed this with your GP?
Reply 3
Original post by martin7
Have you discussed this with your GP?

Yes, they have told me to get herbal medicine (which was ineffective last time) and cautioned against prescribed medication as it can make me more tired as it is very strong :/ not sure what to do now
Reply 4
Original post by YuanG
Asmr always works on me

That is interesting, I could try that...

Thank you
Original post by wormburnz

Thank you :smile:

Hey there,

Exam stress sucks, I always dread this time of year!

I used to suffer with my sleep a lot during my first year of university, and it felt like there wasn't really anything out there that would help me. I didn't want to try any medicine for my sleep as I understand that you can become dependant and it wouldn't really fix the problem for me. I spoke to my GP and they suggested looking into sleep hygiene. You can look it up on google, but it's essentially methods of teaching your body when it's time to sleep. It sounds a bit abstract and out there, but it really helped me. You just have to be consistent with it, it does take a little while to train yourself. I would also highly suggest speaking to your wellbeing team at your university/GP just to get a bit of help managing stress as this will help a lot too! There's no shame in it and there are lots of students who go through the same thing. :smile:

I hope this helps a bit and works out for you - good luck!

Lauren -Official Student Rep
@wormburnz

Frustrating! I know personally that if something important is happening the following day that I am almost guaranteed to not be able to sleep or to wake up early, so I feel your frustration. Here are some sleeping tips.

1) Try to switch of from revision 30-60 minutes before going to sleep.
It's really important to begin to wind down before you try and sleep.
This might look like having a set time when you turn off your computer, close your books and turn off your phone.
A routine is helpful. It might be a hot soothing drink ( but try to avoid too much sugar as this will keep you alert) or just tidying or washing up. It sounds pretty mundane, but just putting things in their right place might make you feel more relaxed and in control and help your body know that it is the end of the day.

2) Peanut butter, turkey and cherry juice!
I don't recommend them altogether, but they are all help increase serotonin levels in your body which helps you sleep. On that note: avoid having too much caffeine during the day, try to eat regular meals that are giving your body the energy and nutrients that it needs and try not too eat too late!

3) Deal with your stress in a productive way
Make time to do some form of exercise to help release some of your stress. It could be going for a run (in the middle of the afternoon), taking regular breaks and dancing to your favourite music, writing down or reflecting on all the positive things from the day: learnt, this remembered this, practised this etc... or just making time to chat with others about your studies. You can't avoid the exams that are coming but you can approach them in a healthy way.

4) Try listening to some relaxing music
You could try Classic FM. They always have lots of peaceful music in the evening so that might help. It will either help you feel more relaxed or it will bore your to sleep. It's win-win situation!

5)Relax those muscles
A method that has helped me is squeezing and relaxing muscles. When you are ready to sleep, squeeze your left foot, keep it squeezed for a few seconds and then relax it. Do the same with the right foot, keep your foot squeezed for a few seconds and then relax it. Squeeze your legs and buttocks keep them squeezed and then relax them. Squeeze one hand, keep it squeezed and then relax it and then do the same with the other hand. Squeeze both hands, keep them squeezed and then relax. Do the same same with your shoulders. By this time, you should be beginning to feel more relaxed, but you could also try squeezing your whole body, keeping your whole body squeezed and then relaxing it. After all of this, your body, should feel more relaxed and ready to sleep.

Hope you get a good night's sleep soon!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey there,

Exam stress sucks, I always dread this time of year!

I used to suffer with my sleep a lot during my first year of university, and it felt like there wasn't really anything out there that would help me. I didn't want to try any medicine for my sleep as I understand that you can become dependant and it wouldn't really fix the problem for me. I spoke to my GP and they suggested looking into sleep hygiene. You can look it up on google, but it's essentially methods of teaching your body when it's time to sleep. It sounds a bit abstract and out there, but it really helped me. You just have to be consistent with it, it does take a little while to train yourself. I would also highly suggest speaking to your wellbeing team at your university/GP just to get a bit of help managing stress as this will help a lot too! There's no shame in it and there are lots of students who go through the same thing. :smile:

I hope this helps a bit and works out for you - good luck!

Lauren -Official Student Rep

That is great advice, I have heard of sleep hygiene and I think that would be a great long-term solution! Thank you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@wormburnz

Frustrating! I know personally that if something important is happening the following day that I am almost guaranteed to not be able to sleep or to wake up early, so I feel your frustration. Here are some sleeping tips.

1) Try to switch of from revision 30-60 minutes before going to sleep.
It's really important to begin to wind down before you try and sleep.
This might look like having a set time when you turn off your computer, close your books and turn off your phone.
A routine is helpful. It might be a hot soothing drink ( but try to avoid too much sugar as this will keep you alert) or just tidying or washing up. It sounds pretty mundane, but just putting things in their right place might make you feel more relaxed and in control and help your body know that its the end of the day.

2) Peanut butter, turkey and cherry juice!
I don't recommend them altogether, but they are all help increase serotonin levels in your body which helps you sleep. On that note: avoid having too much caffeine during the day, try to eat regular meals that are giving your body the energy and nutrients that it needs and try not too eat too late!

3) Deal with your stress in a productive way
Make time to do some form of exercise to help release some of your stress. It could be going for a run (in the middle of the afternoon), taking regular breaks and dancing to your favourite music, writing down or reflecting on all the positive things from the day: learnt, this remembered this, practised this etc... or just making time to chat with others about your studies. You can't avoid the exams that are coming but you can approach them in a healthy way.

4) Try listening to some relaxing music
You could try Classic FM. They always have lots of peaceful music in the evening so that might help. It will either help you feel more relaxed or it will bore your to sleep. It's win-win situation!

5)Relax those muscles
A method that has helped me is squeezing and relaxing muscles. When you are ready to sleep, squeeze your left foot, keep it squeezed for a few seconds and then relax it. Do the same with the right foot, keep your foot squeezed for a few seconds and then relax it. Squeeze your legs and buttocks keep them squeezed and then relax them. Squeeze one hand, keep it squeezed and then relax it and then do the same with the other hand. Squeeze both hands, keep them squeezed and then relax. Do the same same with your shoulders. By this time, you should be beginning to feel more relaxed, but you could also try squeezing your whole body, keeping your whole body squeezed and then relaxing it. After all of this, your body, should feel more relaxed and ready to sleep.

Hope you get a good night's sleep soon!

All the best,

I think the suggestions you have made go to underlying point of achieving a right balance between studying and resting which often seems impossible especially when deadlines are dawning on you and you feel that you are running out of time but you are definitely right to suggest that even doing seemingly tedious tasks could help improve your sleep and performance - I definitely notice a difference with my sleep when I finish studying earlier and then feel a lot more able to study the next day.

Thank you for insightful advice, I will take it on board :smile:
@wormburnz

Definitely take some time to 'switch off' before going to sleep.

When your mind is still going with all the revision that you have been doing or is thinking about all the things you need to do the next day, it's difficult to suddenly stop that and to sleep.

So finding ways to begin to relax before going to sleep helps.

I have heard that reading helps to reduce stress before going to sleep.

I have been reading an autobiography this past week and reading a chapter or two has really helped me.

Maybe finding a book that you have wanted to read for ages, and reading for about 20 minutes before going to sleep might help you.

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending