The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

MSW Social Work at Strathclyde info

Hi all,

I have been accepted to MSW Social Work programme at the University of Strathclyde. I am trying to figure what timetable will look like, also what options are there in terms of 'loans' etc. to pay fees and bills etc. As a mature student I have commitments and I am worried that I will really struggle. Could anyone let me know how you are managing this, please? Are there any days during the week that you are able to work? Plus weekends? Or any other options you found helpful to get you through two years? Many thanks, Zuza
Original post by Zuzuluzu
Hi all,

I have been accepted to MSW Social Work programme at the University of Strathclyde. I am trying to figure what timetable will look like, also what options are there in terms of 'loans' etc. to pay fees and bills etc. As a mature student I have commitments and I am worried that I will really struggle. Could anyone let me know how you are managing this, please? Are there any days during the week that you are able to work? Plus weekends? Or any other options you found helpful to get you through two years? Many thanks, Zuza

Hi @Zuzuluzu! So sorry you've not received a reply yet.

I completely appreciate that budgetting and affording university is a big thing to consider when you're thinking about your options. Lots of our students will continue to work part time at the weekends and Glasgow is a great place for student friendly employment. There are however placements in the MSW programme so these will take up more of your time, and you'll also need some time to relax as you don't want to burn yourself out. Glasgow is quite affordable and student friendly though so if you budget appropriately early in advance then this will make it easier to manage your finances. For more info on the programme and its timetable I'd encourage you to get in touch with the HASS team and they might be able to give you a good idea - https://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/postgraduatetaught/socialwork/#contactus

Have you checked to see if you could be eligible for any scholarships or bursaries? It's worth having a look there if you haven't already: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/scholarships/?. There's a handy filter that will let you tailor your search to the most relevant ones for you.

You could also chat to some of our student ambassadors who are currently studying at Strathclyde and balancing their studies with some work to get a better idea of student life here. We use Unibuddy if you'd like to find students to chat to here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/chattoastudentambassador/. Even if you can't find someone studying your specific course there are some mature students who can speak from their experiences to help :biggrin:

Hope this helps a bit! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending