The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

course change

Hi, I got an offer from durham but for a different course than what I applied to. I applied for combine honours social sciences but I got offered a place to study modern languages and culture; they didn't tell me why. I'm not as interested in the course they offered, is it possible to swap courses once you arrive at uni in year1?
It is unlikely. Sadly they have rejected you from CHSS but liked you as an applicant so have offered you an alternative course. I don’t know about Durham but many universities state explicitly the candidates who take an alternative offer will not be able to switch onto the course they initially applied to. You should only accept the offer if you would be delighted to spend 3/4 years studying the course offered.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Have now looked up the info on Durhams wry and it states clearly that applicants who have alternative offers will not be allowed to swap onto the course they originally applied for.

https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/decisions-and-replies/change-course-offers/

So if you do not want to study modern languages and culture you need to reject the offer, as I said up thread sadly they have already rejected you from CHSS.
Reply 3
thank you for answering, super helpful

Original post by Anonymous
It is unlikely. Sadly they have rejected you from CHSS but liked you as an applicant so have offered you an alternative course. I don’t know about Durham but many universities state explicitly the candidates who take an alternative offer will not be able to switch onto the course they initially applied to. You should only accept the offer if you would be delighted to spend 3/4 years studying the course offered.
Original post by sabrinae23
Hi, I got an offer from durham but for a different course than what I applied to. I applied for combine honours social sciences but I got offered a place to study modern languages and culture; they didn't tell me why. I'm not as interested in the course they offered, is it possible to swap courses once you arrive at uni in year1?

Hi there

According to the website,

If you’ve received an offer for a different course, this is because we’ve identified you have the merit and potential for that course (even though we couldn’t offer your original choice).
Whilst the course may be a subject you haven’t known about, considered, or studied before, you might just find that your skills, experience or interests fit well, so it’s worth looking at the course we’ve offered you with an open mind.

If we’ve made you an offer for a different course, this means we were unable to make you an offer for your original choice and are unable to reconsider our decision. We’re also usually unable to reconsider you for other courses within the same academic department - this is because we will have already considered you for those courses before making you an offer. Should you choose to reapply in a subsequent year, we’d be happy to consider your application then, since we consider all applications afresh each year. If you accept your offer and start your studies at Durham, you will be unable to transfer to your original choice once you’ve registered with us. Therefore, you should only accept your offer if you intend to study your offered course through to graduation.

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest