The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Failed first year - looking to change course

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of a family member who has just failed first year (resist results just in and failed all three).

It's been a while since I've been at uni and just curious as to what process would be here. I think he is looking to change course as the course he had selected wasn't for him and was much more difficult than anticipated.

How likely is it he can change course? Who is best to speak to here? His course was very maths heavy and I think he is looking to change to go down the business route instead. I am aware term due to start soon so thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply 1
I changed course after my first year, it was relatively easy as it just requires filling out a form requesting the change of course, this has to be signed and approved by staff. Best to speak to the programme leader or head of department for his current course as well as the course he is looking to change to, it takes a while to get an email response so would recommend ringing them to get it expedited.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Original post by Enxyba1
I changed course after my first year, it was relatively easy as it just requires filling out a form requesting the change of course, this has to be signed and approved by staff. Best to speak to the programme leader or head of department for his current course as well as the course he is looking to change to, it takes a while to get an email response so would recommend ringing them to get it expedited.

Great thanks for the advice!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I am writing on behalf of a family member who has just failed first year (resist results just in and failed all three).

It's been a while since I've been at uni and just curious as to what process would be here. I think he is looking to change course as the course he had selected wasn't for him and was much more difficult than anticipated.

How likely is it he can change course? Who is best to speak to here? His course was very maths heavy and I think he is looking to change to go down the business route instead. I am aware term due to start soon so thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi there! Sorry to hear your family member has struggled a bit this past year :frown: I'd recommend they get in touch with their academic advisor of studies to find out what their options are. Course changes aren't guaranteed and they may need to re-apply via UCAS for a future year if he's changing his direction (for 2024 entry now).

Has he managed to speak with anyone in the past week or so? Let me know how he gets on!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi there! Sorry to hear your family member has struggled a bit this past year :frown: I'd recommend they get in touch with their academic advisor of studies to find out what their options are. Course changes aren't guaranteed and they may need to re-apply via UCAS for a future year if he's changing his direction (for 2024 entry now).

Has he managed to speak with anyone in the past week or so? Let me know how he gets on!

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Due to the timing of resist results he missed the boat on getting into any other course he fancied as all places were full but managed to get a clearing space at GCU. Thanks for the help!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Due to the timing of resist results he missed the boat on getting into any other course he fancied as all places were full but managed to get a clearing space at GCU. Thanks for the help!

Hello! Really glad he got somewhere, I hope he really enjoys his new course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending