The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Pros and cons of Southampton uni

I’m thinking of applying to university of Southampton does anyone have any opinions or pros and cons or personal experiences with Southampton. Thanks
Original post by Milliewest2
I’m thinking of applying to university of Southampton does anyone have any opinions or pros and cons or personal experiences with Southampton. Thanks

Hi! I’m planning on going to Southampton this year to study civil and architecture
The city looks really nice when I visited . I personally like it since it was by the coast, had nice things to see like the titanic museum, massive shopping centre etc. the campus looks really nice too, lots of green spaces . To me it’s like a big city and small town at the same time, so enough things to go out but not feel overwhelmed
The views around there look amazing as well.
Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything more info!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I’m planning on going to Southampton this year to study civil and architecture
The city looks really nice when I visited . I personally like it since it was by the coast, had nice things to see like the titanic museum, massive shopping centre etc. the campus looks really nice too, lots of green spaces . To me it’s like a big city and small town at the same time, so enough things to go out but not feel overwhelmed
The views around there look amazing as well.
Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything more info!

Also forgot to add in your first year you get a free bus pass which takes you anywhere in the city as part of the student accommodation. They also have a really good gym and library (Hartley library). Southampton is near some cool places like Bournemouth, Portsmouth , Isle of Wight (which you can jet ski to- pretty cool). I also found lots of other baiting / coastal related stuff there such a kayaking, canoeing, jet ski, cruises or boats etc if you like that sort of stuff. I’d say when choosing a uni it all depends what your looking for personally

Hi @Milliewest2,

It's great to hear you are thinking of applying to Southampton, it is a really great university and I have loved my time here! As other posters have mentioned, the city is vibrant with lots of things to do. The large Westquay shopping centre is a great place to have a look around, and is host to a number of restaurants too!

The Showcase cinema is also really lovely! I have been there so many times and think it is one of the best cinemas I have been to. Close to the cinema is the Hollywood Bowl which is another great place to go with friends, some societies may even have socials there.

In terms of the nightlife there is so much choice. There is a great range of clubs and bars around so there will be something to suit your taste. The student presence in the city is also a really great factor, due to Southampton being the home to Uni of and Solent university the city feels like a friendly, safe and bustling place to be that has a lot of opportunities to make friends.

Southampton has lots of green space, which is great if you fancy a break from the busy city. I stayed in Glen Eyre in my first year which itself has lots of green space, places for bbqs and outdoor studying, however it is also close to the common which is a large park that is really nice in the summer months.

The university campuses are also really lovely. Highfield, the main campus has lots of cafes, a shop, a bar and is home to the Hartley library - a place where lots of students spend a lot of their time.

If you have any other questions, please do ask!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @Milliewest2,

It's great to hear you are thinking of applying to Southampton, it is a really great university and I have loved my time here! As other posters have mentioned, the city is vibrant with lots of things to do. The large Westquay shopping centre is a great place to have a look around, and is host to a number of restaurants too!

The Showcase cinema is also really lovely! I have been there so many times and think it is one of the best cinemas I have been to. Close to the cinema is the Hollywood Bowl which is another great place to go with friends, some societies may even have socials there.

In terms of the nightlife there is so much choice. There is a great range of clubs and bars around so there will be something to suit your taste. The student presence in the city is also a really great factor, due to Southampton being the home to Uni of and Solent university the city feels like a friendly, safe and bustling place to be that has a lot of opportunities to make friends.

Southampton has lots of green space, which is great if you fancy a break from the busy city. I stayed in Glen Eyre in my first year which itself has lots of green space, places for bbqs and outdoor studying, however it is also close to the common which is a large park that is really nice in the summer months.

The university campuses are also really lovely. Highfield, the main campus has lots of cafes, a shop, a bar and is home to the Hartley library - a place where lots of students spend a lot of their time.

Thanks so much jasmine, Southampton definitely is my top choice so far and it is top for my course which is even better! The city sounds amazing, can’t wait to go to the open day in June. It seems like the perfect place for me as I come from a small town myself so don’t want to be as busy as London but also want plenty of things to do so Southampton seems great. I also love green spaces too and the coast. Do you know what the sport is like at Southampton, women’s football especially, thanks so much
Also forgot to add in your first year you get a free bus pass which takes you anywhere in the city as part of the student accommodation. They also have a really good gym and library (Hartley library). Southampton is near some cool places like Bournemouth, Portsmouth , Isle of Wight (which you can jet ski to- pretty cool). I also found lots of other baiting / coastal related stuff there such a kayaking, canoeing, jet ski, cruises or boats etc if you like that sort of stuff. I’d say when choosing a uni it all depends what your looking for personally

Wow you have definitely convinced me so far ! I am going to an open day in June so hope to see it all for myself then. Thanks so much for your reply
Wow you have definitely convinced me so far ! I am going to an open day in June so hope to see it all for myself then. Thanks so much for your reply

No problem, glad it helped you! Hope you enjoy it when you visit , and hopefully I’ll have more to say when I go in September lol
No problem, glad it helped you! Hope you enjoy it when you visit , and hopefully I’ll have more to say when I go in September lol

Good luck for September and congrats on getting in !
Good luck for September and congrats on getting in !

Thank you! Hope you enjoy the open day
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @Milliewest2,

Hii sorry this is a bit random but do you know if southampton is lenient with grades becuase i am really worried that i wont be able to reach the grade requirements for my offer there BBB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending