The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

What is an Academic Poster at university?

I'm thinking about doing psychology at Southampton university. Under the assessment details for lots of the modules you have to produce an "academic poster". Does this just involve producing a poster and handing it in or do you have to present your poster to a large audience? thanks in advance
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
As the name suggests - a poster that s educational…
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Polijien
As the name suggests - a poster that s educational…

thanks... I think I could have guessed that
Reply 3
Original post by 28jmc36

Yeah you have to present it and you get marked on everything
Original post by 28jmc36
I'm thinking about doing psychology at Southampton university. Under the assessment details for lots of the modules you have to produce an "academic poster". Does this just involve producing a poster and handing it in or do you have to present your poster to a large audience? thanks in advance

Hey!
I can give you some insight into the academic poster requirements at the University of Southampton. While I'm not specifically from the Psychology department, I can tell you about my own experience as a MA Design Management student.

In my program, we also had to create academic posters as part of our research proposals for our final projects. So, from my understanding, the process might be somewhat similar for you in the Psychology department. In our case, we not only had to produce the poster but also present it to our tutor and peers for review. Typically, presenting your poster is an important part of the assessment. It allows you to showcase your research findings, methodology, and conclusions to a small audience. t's a great opportunity to receive feedback and engage in discussions about your work.

Of course, it's always a good idea to double-check the specific requirements for your psychology modules, as they might vary slightly. You can reach out to the department or check the module handbooks for more information on how the academic posters are assessed. But overall, I would say that producing the poster is just one part of the process. The presentation aspect adds an extra layer of engagement and allows you to demonstrate your understanding and communication skills. So, don't be too nervous about it! It can be a valuable experience to share your work with others.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
Original post by 28jmc36

Posters are often used at academic conferences as a way to summarise research projects so many degrees will include practice in producing and presenting research using a poster.

There’s lots of examples online usually.
Original post by 28jmc36

Usually your assignment information will tell you if you need to do a poster presentation or just submit it. Check with the module convenor if you are unsure.

You can see a couple of examples of academic posters here: https://www.brandeis.edu/psychology/cope-lab/publication/conference-presentations.html

If you just search "conference poster" you'll find many more as well.
Reply 7
Fwiw you'll probably have to do some sort of assessed presentation on any degree, poster and powerpoint are popular formats for this. People who've never had to stand up in front of a room of people get more worried about doing these than they really need to tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending