The Student Room Group

what is it like being a trans student in first-year shared accommodation?

i'm a trans guy hoping to start university this september, and although by that point i'll have been two years on testosterone, it's highly unlikely that i'll have gotten top surgery by that point, and im definitely not in a position where i can just get away with wearing loose hoodies and hoping my flatmates don't catch on

i'm absolutely ******** myself, because you can't pick your flatmates and i have no idea who i'll end up with or how they're going to be about it

does anyone have any experience being trans in first-year accommodation? any tips, stories, etc. ? i'd really appreciate just getting an idea of what i might be dealing with =)
Not trans but my trans friends said it was fine. University is probably the most inclusive environment imaginable.
Im trans girl myself going uni. Honestly, uni is safest place to be. Xx please don't be worried, you don't have to be open with everyone until you know you can trust them - i was always worried someone might find out when I'm at uni as well. Hope you have nice flatmates xx
Original post by Anonymous
i'm a trans guy hoping to start university this september, and although by that point i'll have been two years on testosterone, it's highly unlikely that i'll have gotten top surgery by that point, and im definitely not in a position where i can just get away with wearing loose hoodies and hoping my flatmates don't catch on

i'm absolutely ******** myself, because you can't pick your flatmates and i have no idea who i'll end up with or how they're going to be about it

does anyone have any experience being trans in first-year accommodation? any tips, stories, etc. ? i'd really appreciate just getting an idea of what i might be dealing with =)

Hi there,
Whilst I haven't experienced this myself I have noticed the whole university experience to be very inclusive and welcoming. I have yet to hear of anyone having a negative experience as a trans person in university accommodation. In my experience everyone is very keen to make friends and new connections so I wouldn't worry.

I hope this helps,
Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
Original post by Anonymous #1
Trans guy currently in first year accom, I'm pre everything and my flatmates are totally chill (apart from one, but everyone defended me more or less when he was being weird so that was awfully nice of them)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending