The Student Room Group

Sixth form applications in the UK as an international student

Yo!

I'm Scott, and I currently live in Sri Lanka. My mum is in the UK and I might go there for sixth form after I do my IGCSEs here. Although I really want to complete my sixth form education at my current school, I miss my mum and I want to keep an open mind, especially since I haven't been to the UK yet.

We're doing some sixth form applications and they ask for a personal statement. I haven't done any internships yet, so I can't include that. I want to study Physics, Mathematics A and Computer Science (or Chemistry if CS is not an option.)

I'm finding it hard to come to terms with the fact that I might leave my school life here too, so it's even more difficult to put together a personal statement that might lead to me losing everything I've built here.

Do you guys have any tips? On writing personal statements, convincing myself that it's not a bad thing, anything? Thanks! :beer:
for a sixth form personal statement, i'd recommend talking about why you want to study the a levels you've chosen and your future ambitions. i would also talk about any achievements/relevant hobbies that you have and what transferable skills you've learnt from them and how they make you suitable for the courses you've chosen. you may also want to talk about what you would bring to the schools community. they usually have prompts which you can use. you could also talk about why you might want to go that specific sixth form. make sure to say a bit about yourself as a person at the start too!

for sixth form you don't necessarily have to talk about internships as they're not that important at this stage in your education and frankly, not many people have done one (maybe a little work experience here and there but nothing substantial) so don't worry about that

these links may be of use to you : https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/personal-statement-examples-for-sixth-form
https://luminatecareersandcoaching.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/How-to-write-a-personal-statement.pdf

good luck!! and i hope you become more sure of your decision, whatever it may be. remember, the grass will always be greener on the other side :smile: feel free to pm me if you have any questions about school in the uk!!

Quick Reply

Latest