The Student Room Group

Social anxiety but not really?

Hi, I have a complex issue where I am confident and not awkward around strangers, however when it comes to people I see regularly I have massive anxiety and never know what to say or do and end up becoming invisible. I have been told to always say things that are not offensive or too personal, since I was a child by my mum. I now realise that she was just projecting her own trust issues on to me. I now just struggle with making conversation and connections. I am 20 and really want to reinvent myself socially so I can make friends and not be as isolated for this academic year. What steps should I take to manage my absence of social skills so I don’t hinder myself when I go back in September to uni.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
It sounds like you are dealing with social anxiety and struggling to connect with others. This can be a challenging issue to address, but there are steps you can take to work on it. Consider seeking support from a therapist or counsellor who can help you develop social skills and build confidence in social situations. Additionally, consider joining clubs or groups related to your interests to meet like-minded individuals. As you work on improving your social skills, you can focus on your coursework by utilizing biology coursework writing services to ensure that you are submitting quality work. In contrast, you work on your personal growth.
In university, you will see different lifestyles which require one to be sociable before being able to fit into such an environment. Oftentimes, you get interested in participating in school activities but rather, you see yourself withdrawing because you’re fighting with social anxiety.

Social anxiety can cause more harm than good to students. It can lead to missing classes, poor academic performance, unwillingness to contribute to school activities etc.

There are however different ways to overcome social anxiety;

Delete the (mis)conception that you are not enough and therefore, do not belong here. When you are getting to a particular space, feel like you own the place and you see yourself shining bright.

You should take care of your mental and physical well being. Exercise more, eat healthy, avoid relying on alcohol to fight anxiety, do not rely on taking pills that will make you high to be able to carry out a public activity.

Take it upon yourself to interact with at least 2 persons in a day. Take away the thought of being snubbed. Speak and you will always be heard. Maintain eye contact with people you speak with. This will help you stand firm on your feet.

Consider joining groups that will help in public speaking. Gradually challenge yourself and take up a task in the group.

Finally, take it one step at a time. When you feel you have done enough for the day, rest and continue the next day. It never gets worse.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep
Reply 4
Original post by 2102945
Hi, I have a complex issue where I am confident and not awkward around strangers, however when it comes to people I see regularly I have massive anxiety and never know what to say or do and end up becoming invisible. I have been told to always say things that are not offensive or too personal, since I was a child by my mum. I now realise that she was just projecting her own trust issues on to me. I now just struggle with making conversation and connections. I am 20 and really want to reinvent myself socially so I can make friends and not be as isolated for this academic year. What steps should I take to manage my absence of social skills so I don’t hinder myself when I go back in September to uni.

Don't worry. I believe talking to a therapist can help you better. Everything will be fine dear.
Reply 5
Original post by Davidhr111
Don't worry. I believe talking to a therapist can help you better. Everything will be fine dear.

I tried to get therapy but I am not eligible because it’s not debilitating. I don’t have a job so I can’t pay, I needed nhs services or I can’t get it.

Latest

Trending

Trending