The Student Room Group

i hate the course i'm doing and idk what to do

i'm in 2nd year doing a healthcare course that i really do not enjoy. i don't find it interesting and honestly it has made my mental health even worse than it was before starting. placement has traumatised me and it has really put me off. it's got to the point where i don't even want to work in the field after graduating. just the thought of working in this field makes me very anxious. i'm not in a position where i can just drop out either. i only have 1 year left but i'm more worried about what i'm going to do afterwards. i've tried looking at other careers i could maybe go into using this degree but there isn't really anything else i could do with this degree apart from what i'm studying rn. really don't know what to do
Original post by Anonymous
i'm in 2nd year doing a healthcare course that i really do not enjoy. i don't find it interesting and honestly it has made my mental health even worse than it was before starting. placement has traumatised me and it has really put me off. it's got to the point where i don't even want to work in the field after graduating. just the thought of working in this field makes me very anxious. i'm not in a position where i can just drop out either. i only have 1 year left but i'm more worried about what i'm going to do afterwards. i've tried looking at other careers i could maybe go into using this degree but there isn't really anything else i could do with this degree apart from what i'm studying rn. really don't know what to do

Hi

It's a shame this has happened for you, however, there are always ways. I'm not sure how old you are, but it's never too late to return to education in the future if you don't feel it's for you at the minute. There is no shame in dropping out of University and reflecting on what you want to do going forward. You could try a few different jobs for a while and see where they take you.

I am 44 and just finishing my my first year of a degree, so pursuing something in a few years if you prefer might suit you better. I think it's rare for 18 year olds to truly know what they want to do for the next 40 years of their life!

Whilst you have the choice of leaving the course, if you can stick it out for the final year and graduate, this will likely offer you better opportunities in general, especially because you are 2/3 of the way through. Despite not wanting to use the degree itself, many employers look favourably on people with a degree (whatever the subject).

Speak with family and friends and share your concerns and thoughts. Take the pressure off yourself and realise you don't have to do something you do want to. As someone said to me once, "Is anybody going to die because of your decision? If not, don't worry about it, other opportunities, possibly better ones will come along"

Take care.

Chris
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey,

I'm sorry you are not enjoying your course it must be so difficult. Is there any way you could speak to your university and see what they advise? They may have a careers team that can give you some ideas

With a lot of University degrees, you gain loads of transferable skills that can be used in a variety of different careers. One of my best friends did a nursing degree and now works in recruitment so completely differently. I hope things get better for you :smile:

Rebecca York St John University Student Ambassador
Original post by acurachris
Hi

It's a shame this has happened for you, however, there are always ways. I'm not sure how old you are, but it's never too late to return to education in the future if you don't feel it's for you at the minute. There is no shame in dropping out of University and reflecting on what you want to do going forward. You could try a few different jobs for a while and see where they take you.

I am 44 and just finishing my my first year of a degree, so pursuing something in a few years if you prefer might suit you better. I think it's rare for 18 year olds to truly know what they want to do for the next 40 years of their life!

Whilst you have the choice of leaving the course, if you can stick it out for the final year and graduate, this will likely offer you better opportunities in general, especially because you are 2/3 of the way through. Despite not wanting to use the degree itself, many employers look favourably on people with a degree (whatever the subject).

Speak with family and friends and share your concerns and thoughts. Take the pressure off yourself and realise you don't have to do something you do want to. As someone said to me once, "Is anybody going to die because of your decision? If not, don't worry about it, other opportunities, possibly better ones will come along"

Take care.

Chris

thank you for responding. i went into uni straight after sixth form so i'm 20 now. i've thought about doing a different course after this one. i'm just scared that i'll end up hating that one too. hopefully not though
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,
I'm sorry you're experiencing this, it sounds really difficult. If you course if making your mental health worse it might be worth looking into whether you have the possibility to take a gap year between second and third year to give yourself some time to try new things and make sure that you are feeling your best. Equally, with regards to a negative placement experience is this potentially something that you could bring up with your supervisor or course director to see what could be done to help give you a better experience. Another option could be speaking to a careers counsellor- oftentimes uni's will have something of this nature to help students- to see what they suggest and if they can help you find a career path using your degree that you will enjoy and are more excited about.
I hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending