The Student Room Group

Lieng in your CV/ personal statement

Hi, if I was to apply to a uni and in my personal statement I wrote something like “I was a sports captain and part of the school council in my previous schools” would I get away with it?

How will they know if it’s a lie or not, they ain’t gonna email my high school and ask if I was the sports captain in year 7?
If it’s important then they’ll check if.

If it’s not important then it’s pointless to lie about it.

Being a sports captain in yr 7 isn’t going to make any difference to your chances of getting an offer. It’s pointless to include it in a PS even if it’s true. It’s stupid to include it if it’s a lie.
Original post by Liam9123
Hi, if I was to apply to a uni and in my personal statement I wrote something like “I was a sports captain and part of the school council in my previous schools” would I get away with it?

How will they know if it’s a lie or not, they ain’t gonna email my high school and ask if I was the sports captain in year 7?

Where are you applying? As a previous commenter said this is unlikely to benefit your application, and if it is (somehow) then they may check.
Reply 3
Original post by melancollege
Where are you applying? As a previous commenter said this is unlikely to benefit your application, and if it is (somehow) then they may check.

Applying for medicine, I thought saying I’ve been part of the school council would help as I could say I’ve presented my year etc, gained confidence from it,surely makes me looks better
Applying for medicine, I thought saying I’ve been part of the school council would help as I could say I’ve presented my year etc, gained confidence from it,surely makes me looks better

The point of these activities is not to rattle them off in a list to bore the person reading your PS (or listening to you in interview) to tears, it's to critically reflect upon the experiences and how you personally developed as a result of them.

Since you did not experience that, you did not develop as a result at all anyway...which will likely be obvious to the person interviewing you. It's about showing what qualities you have through illustrative examples, not telling them a list of things you did.

Lying on a PS would likely be a fitness for practice issue.
It would be one way of demonstrating that you aren’t suitable for medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending