The Student Room Group

Someone please help me urgently:( psychology alevel

I’m really struggling on research methods and my exam is in a couple days for paper 1 even though it doesn’t have a lot of research methods in paper one it’s still important.Also in terms of evaluating studies as deterministic or holistic can anyone give me an examples?Would zimbardos study he deterministic since the guards were controlling choices of the prisoners ? Is this the correct concept.Any tips or help with A03 will be appreciated
Thank you in advance :wink:
Reply 1
Original post by slays9876
I’m really struggling on research methods and my exam is in a couple days for paper 1 even though it doesn’t have a lot of research methods in paper one it’s still important.Also in terms of evaluating studies as deterministic or holistic can anyone give me an examples?Would zimbardos study he deterministic since the guards were controlling choices of the prisoners ? Is this the correct concept.Any tips or help with A03 will be appreciated
Thank you in advance :wink:

hey so u still have plenty of time for research methods! but you might have to compromise n spend a few more hrs on it hence less hrs on paper 1 content ! id recommend just doing light revision on it, just so u know the basics for the exam

u can use deterministic and reductionism yes but it depends which context u apply it to, like if we apply it to bio explanations for ocd, we can say that is reductionistic as its too simplistic, suggesting only a gene can cause ocd and it ignores any 3rd factor eg environmental stressors, and it is also deterministic since it ignores individual free and suggests ppl with the 'genes' are preprogrammed for ocd, its smthin like that i can't remember from the top of my head lol !!

im unsure if we can apply it to zimbardo though, i guess u could say zimbardo overestimated the determinism aspect since not all ppts obeyed to the social roles? like only 1/3 of the guards were actually harsh and he suspected they all were harsh
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by anon-.-
hey so u still have plenty of time for research methods! but you might have to compromise n spend a few more hrs on it hence less hrs on paper 1 content ! id recommend just doing light revision on it, just so u know the basics for the exam

u can use deterministic and holistic yes but it depends which context u apply it to, like if we apply it to bio explanations for ocd, we can say that is holistic as its too simplistic, suggesting only a gene can cause ocd and it ignores any 3rd factor eg environmental stressors, and it is also deterministic since it ignores individual free and suggests ppl with the 'genes' are preprogrammed for ocd, its smthin like that i can't remember from the top of my head lol !!

im unsure if we can apply it to zimbardo though, i guess u could say zimbardo overestimated the determinism aspect since not all ppts obeyed to the social roles? like only 1/3 of the guards were actually harsh and he suspected they all were harsh

Wouldn't bio explanations for ocd be reductionist not holistic as it simplifies a complex behaviour into its basic components?
Reply 3
Original post by anon-.-

u can use deterministic and holistic yes but it depends which context u apply it to, like if we apply it to bio explanations for ocd, we can say that is holistic as its too simplistic, suggesting only a gene can cause ocd and it ignores any 3rd factor eg environmental stressors, and it is also deterministic since it ignores individual free and suggests ppl with the 'genes' are preprogrammed for ocd, its smthin like that i can't remember from the top of my head lol !!

Thank you so much really helpful
good luck on any exams if you have them :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by noahc011ins_
Wouldn't bio explanations for ocd be reductionist not holistic as it simplifies a complex behaviour into its basic components?

oh yess my bad lol !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending