The Student Room Group

Scared him off

Hi everyone,
I’ve met a guy online a week ago. Everything has been great: the chats are amazing, we really get along. He’s not my usual type. So I wasn’t smitten at once or anything. He’s a good texted, he cares, promptly replies even though he’s busy with work or lets me know that he’ll reply later. We live in different countries and I was going to his in 3 months anyway. So, we might meet.
He was initiating everything, the dynamic was great. But one day I lost my **** and texted him a long message, nothing too extreme. Just how nice he’s etc. it was too much and I should not have done it. It scared him. He says he is worried if things don’t work out and I’ll be too upset etc. he still texts and calls, but the dynamic shifted a bit. I feel I start chasing. I feel he’s cautious about compliments me etc which is a shame. At the same time I can see he likes me- he is flirty on calls, it’s like he can’t help himself. I think it could potentially work because conversations just flow unless I bloody soil it all overthinking.
Girls(and guys), please give me some tips? Im thinking of getting the grip and not texting until he texts and kind of forget what I had said to him, just mimic his style eg if he’s friendly I’m just friendly. And if he doesn’t text I don’t text. What do you think? Is it ruined for good?
Why can't you just explain this to him? Communication is vital in relationships and if the relationship is worth anything, it won't be ruined over 1 small mistake like this. Just clarify what your thoughts are, apologise for your outburst and talk about preferences if needed
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,
I’ve met a guy online a week ago. Everything has been great: the chats are amazing, we really get along. He’s not my usual type. So I wasn’t smitten at once or anything. He’s a good texted, he cares, promptly replies even though he’s busy with work or lets me know that he’ll reply later. We live in different countries and I was going to his in 3 months anyway. So, we might meet.
He was initiating everything, the dynamic was great. But one day I lost my **** and texted him a long message, nothing too extreme. Just how nice he’s etc. it was too much and I should not have done it. It scared him. He says he is worried if things don’t work out and I’ll be too upset etc. he still texts and calls, but the dynamic shifted a bit. I feel I start chasing. I feel he’s cautious about compliments me etc which is a shame. At the same time I can see he likes me- he is flirty on calls, it’s like he can’t help himself. I think it could potentially work because conversations just flow unless I bloody soil it all overthinking.
Girls(and guys), please give me some tips? Im thinking of getting the grip and not texting until he texts and kind of forget what I had said to him, just mimic his style eg if he’s friendly I’m just friendly. And if he doesn’t text I don’t text. What do you think? Is it ruined for good?

If he's a good a guy as you're telling him to be, then he won't allow a few compliments to get between the relationship you're establishing with him (whether that be platonic or otherwise). At the end of the day, although it might have made things awkward for the meantime, eventually your dynamic will return to what it was it you continue to speak with him. Acting peculiarly on your end will just cause more destruction than necessary, and, for what it's worth, it likely won't change how he communicates with you. If anything, you'll just drift even further apart. If he's flirting with you, then space clearly isn't what he wants nor needs, so ignoring him or being distant will only drive you away from one another. Just communicate how you feel to him. The only way to get a true resolve out of this is to be open and honest, and if you are unable to do so then a relationship isn't what either of you should be considering. Good luck!
Reply 3
Im thinking of getting the grip and not texting until he texts and kind of forget what I had said to him, just mimic his style eg if he’s friendly I’m just friendly. And if he doesn’t text I don’t text. What do you think? Is it ruined for good?

Don't play games; if you want to text him, do so. But remember he's just a guy you're chatting with online and you don't really know him. No need for big statements or gushing compliments at the moment, just have normal conversations. You haven't even really thought about meeting yet, and seeing him in person and how he interacts with others in real life would be the telling time.
Reply 4
Original post by K.online.
If he's a good a guy as you're telling him to be, then he won't allow a few compliments to get between the relationship you're establishing with him (whether that be platonic or otherwise). At the end of the day, although it might have made things awkward for the meantime, eventually your dynamic will return to what it was it you continue to speak with him. Acting peculiarly on your end will just cause more destruction than necessary, and, for what it's worth, it likely won't change how he communicates with you. If anything, you'll just drift even further apart. If he's flirting with you, then space clearly isn't what he wants nor needs, so ignoring him or being distant will only drive you away from one another. Just communicate how you feel to him. The only way to get a true resolve out of this is to be open and honest, and if you are unable to do so then a relationship isn't what either of you should be considering. Good luck!

Thank you. I’m over thinking so much. He said he’d have a meeting and would text me later. Then watched my Instagram stories like in minutes after they’d been posted. Was online on WhatsApp. I’ve texted him in two hours and asked if it was a busy Monday. He was online next second but hasn’t open the message…. Also it means he’s having a meeting at about 20 pm (he’s a copywriter). And now it’s be passed 10…..
Reply 5
Thank you. I’m over thinking so much. He said he’d have a meeting and would text me later. Then watched my Instagram stories like in minutes after they’d been posted. Was online on WhatsApp. I’ve texted him in two hours and asked if it was a busy Monday. He was online next second but hasn’t open the message…. Also it means he’s having a meeting at about 20 pm (he’s a copywriter). And now it’s be passed 10…..

And what do you do: work? Study? Hobbies? Stop checking up on him, it's unhealthy. Either arrange a time to be online or on a phone call together, or post a message and let him reply when he's ready. If you aren't going to be having a conversation, give yourself a specific time to check for responses, then go and do something else.
Reply 6
Update: he rang last night and said he’s scared we both would get hurt. Because we’re in different countries and he’s been living alone for 10 years, he’s not sure blah blah. I accepted it. He said good bye. Blocked my number. And that was it. It’s funny how I just liked our chats, but after the block i feel so sad. Like there’s something stuck in my throat, I want to cry but something’s stopping me. I hag to carry on revising after the conversation as I had an exam today. Feeling a bit better now but still a bit down. It is what it is as they say

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending