The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Computer Science Paper 2 (7517/2) - 19th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA A-level Computer Science Paper 2 exam go today?

AQA A-level Computer Science Paper 2 (7517/2) - 19th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 19th June 2023/ AM
Length: 2hr 30 mins

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey guys how is everyones revision going?
Original post by wzrdium
hey guys how is everyones revision going?

okay, slowly but surely working through my notemaking (porbably quite late to be revising but ive struggled a lot with computing these past few months)
Reply 3
Original post by Angelisdreaming
okay, slowly but surely working through my notemaking (porbably quite late to be revising but ive struggled a lot with computing these past few months)

if you want to make good revision resources in the short amount of time left, go on isaac computing and then make anki flashcards from the content on there, or use craig n dave videos.

do flashcards, do questions, read flashcards n repeat for every topic

do the past papers with some space in between and you can be fine, just note that the 2022 exam paper was really easy so if u do that exam as practice just remember that it is not going to be that easy this year, but no worries since it will be easier than previous but similar boundaries to that of 2019 (lower)
Original post by wzrdium
if you want to make good revision resources in the short amount of time left, go on isaac computing and then make anki flashcards from the content on there, or use craig n dave videos.

do flashcards, do questions, read flashcards n repeat for every topic

do the past papers with some space in between and you can be fine, just note that the 2022 exam paper was really easy so if u do that exam as practice just remember that it is not going to be that easy this year, but no worries since it will be easier than previous but similar boundaries to that of 2019 (lower)

thank you so much for the advice :smile:
Reply 5
no worries, compsci is jus about memorising certain things and having to understand others

like u need to memorise the fetch-execute cycle for example but understand for yourself why certain things make processing faster etc

most important chaps for paper 2 is like C5, C6, C7 and C9
C10 will always come up but SQL should be decently easy to learn
C12 will also always come up but fold map functions etc aren't too hard to get your head around
Original post by Angelisdreaming
thank you so much for the advice :smile:
For the big marked open ended questions like for CH8 consequences of uses of computing for example, how should we structure our answers? I've assumed we make a paragraph on each bullet point that comes up in these styles of questions?
Original post by hellohello212005
For the big marked open ended questions like for CH8 consequences of uses of computing for example, how should we structure our answers? I've assumed we make a paragraph on each bullet point that comes up in these styles of questions?

theres mostly a pattern with all the long answer questions, if you look at the mark scheme it pretty much lays it all out for you, i just do subheadings for each section that they ask about in the question and just do a paragraph for each
Reply 8
anyone have any predictions on what may come up?? i have a bad feeling we’ll get a lengthy assembly language questions haha
Original post by 47sk
anyone have any predictions on what may come up?? i have a bad feeling we’ll get a lengthy assembly language questions haha

i would love a big assembly question that takes a big chunk out of the possible marks for other stuff that is harder, i just hope we dont get a bunch of essays and we get some smaller separate questions instead
Reply 10
Do any of the paper 1 topics come up on paper 2? Or have we just learnt all those useless abstraction definitions, hash tables, graphs, trees, Dijkstra's, sorting and searching algorithms, vectors, RPN for nothing.
Reply 11
Original post by jamesphh
Do any of the paper 1 topics come up on paper 2? Or have we just learnt all those useless abstraction definitions, hash tables, graphs, trees, Dijkstra's, sorting and searching algorithms, vectors, RPN for nothing.

nothing from p1 comes up in p2
Reply 12
If anyone has advice, resources or anything for 12 mark questions please post them here. As detailed as possible please, my teacher hasn't talked about them once!! Like how do you first approach them, what tricks are there in the wording of the question, what structure to use, how much to write and how many points to make. Cheers in advance!
Original post by mitnic
If anyone has advice, resources or anything for 12 mark questions please post them here. As detailed as possible please, my teacher hasn't talked about them once!! Like how do you first approach them, what tricks are there in the wording of the question, what structure to use, how much to write and how many points to make. Cheers in advance!

assuming there is a 12 marker this year, they make it very obvious in the question what they want you to talk about, so i'll just divide the points between each topic equally and add a few extra for each just in case i get some points wrong, other than that you just have to know how to regurgitate information in a coherent manner
Original post by tedkazcynski
i would love a big assembly question that takes a big chunk out of the possible marks for other stuff that is harder, i just hope we dont get a bunch of essays and we get some smaller separate questions instead

Is there a method to get better and high in these? like write/think of a pseudocode answer then rewrite it with assembly language but to me doing the pseudocode part seems a waste of time so not sure if theres easier ways?
Is there a method to get better and high in these? like write/think of a pseudocode answer then rewrite it with assembly language but to me doing the pseudocode part seems a waste of time so not sure if theres easier ways?

just practise it, i think writing pseudocode is a waste of time but if it makes it easier for you then do it
Reply 16
If these are 2019 grade boundaries like its predicted I'm gonna be on the ropes, calculating what I think I got on paper 1 I need like 90% on this paper for a B.
Original post by OGSESHLORD
If these are 2019 grade boundaries like its predicted I'm gonna be on the ropes, calculating what I think I got on paper 1 I need like 90% on this paper for a B.

same, if the grade boundaries took into account that most comp sci teachers cannot teach then life would be a lot less stressful
Reply 18
same, if the grade boundaries took into account that most comp sci teachers cannot teach then life would be a lot less stressful

It's kind of crazy because I know my teachers in particular would probably complain if we do bad but the effort on their part to actually teach us has been near 0.
Original post by OGSESHLORD
It's kind of crazy because I know my teachers in particular would probably complain if we do bad but the effort on their part to actually teach us has been near 0.

yeah, our coding teacher came end of y12, spent his last 3 weeks trying to teach IF statements then cut and hasn't been replaced since and our theory teacher could not care less until exams come around

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending