The Student Room Group

im nearly 17 and still afraid of talking to girls

its over

Scroll to see replies

Original post by basedjoe
its over

A bit vague but based on your thread title, it's perfectly fine to not feel comfortable talking to girls at 16, nearly 17. It may be an underlying fear, it might be because you don't want to feel embarrassed or you may not want to face the fear of rejection there are many people who have more experience talking to the opposite gender unlike me that may be more equipped to help you but my advice is asking your mum for some advice because the best person you can go to for this kind of thing is your mum.
(Original post by basedjoe)its over

you can talk to me and im a girl
Reply 3
Original post by JA03
A bit vague but based on your thread title, it's perfectly fine to not feel comfortable talking to girls at 16, nearly 17. It may be an underlying fear, it might be because you don't want to feel embarrassed or you may not want to face the fear of rejection there are many people who have more experience talking to the opposite gender unlike me that may be more equipped to help you but my advice is asking your mum for some advice because the best person you can go to for this kind of thing is your mum.

it definitely is not fine at my age

Okay, here's some context - I'm 18, turning 19 in like 7 months. I only talk to like 1 boy and that's because we're both awkward and all we do is bicker, the most I talk to other guys are 1 word and it's either 'hello' or 'no' as a response. I don't feel comfortable talking to the general male population and I think it's perfectly fine.
Then work on overcoming that fear. No excuses.
Reply 6
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
Then work on overcoming that fear. No excuses.

how
its over

Just speak to them as you would anyone else. Once you get over the obstacle as seeing girls as being "different" to you it will get easier.
how

By talking to girls.

It all starts with exposing yourself to your fear. Over time you'll pick up on where you're going wrong and what you could be saying to keep the conversation flowing. I suggest you read up on conversational techniques. For example, I used to struggle keeping conversations flowing but I overcame that by asking open ended questions and remaining inquisitive about the other person. Get out of your own head and start going with the flow of the convo.

Charisma on Command is a Youtube channel that I found fairly useful so check them out.

Oh, and don't bother following the advice of these so called ''pick-up artists'' you find online nowadays, they couldn't rizz up a lass if they tried.
I'm in my twenties and don't talk to women. I've accepted that this is my life now because the few opportunities I had to interact with women have gone now.
its over

W rizz. Try rizz gpt
Original post by Nitro_06
W rizz. Try rizz gpt

he aint rizzing anyone lol
Reply 12
Original post by Nitro_06
W rizz. Try rizz gpt

stfu
its over

dont think of us as a separate species or something we are literally people too. just speak to us how you would speak to anyone
well ya, only women are allowed to be afraid of interacting with the other gender, not men, since nature dictates that for all time, men have to approach
Here are a few thoughts based on my own experience, which may or may not help.

- don't view every girl as a potential partner
- don't be afraid of the "friendzone"
- don't think too far ahead

Build friendships with girls, real friendships based on things you have in common, not on how they look. Get to know more girls casually, with no expectation of it ever leading anywhere (Otherwise the reek of desperation can be suffocating). Get better at listening. We have a lot more things in common than we do differences, yet we have a ridiculous habit of treating other genders as alien species who are impossible to predict or understand. That's nonsense based on lazy generalisations. When you start making female friends and get comfortable just talking to girls and enjoying their company, you will get a lot better at it and, sometimes, the friendship might blossom into something more. Or maybe one of your female friends will set you up with one of their friends. At the very least when you meet "the one" (if such a thing exists) you will be better equipped to talk to her. Good luck!
Original post by MaxFischer

Build friendships with girls, real friendships based on things you have in common, not on how they look. Get to know more girls casually, with no expectation of it ever leading anywhere (Otherwise the reek of desperation can be suffocating). Get better at listening. We have a lot more things in common than we do differences, yet we have a ridiculous habit of treating other genders as alien species who are impossible to predict or understand. That's nonsense based on lazy generalisations. When you start making female friends and get comfortable just talking to girls and enjoying their company, you will get a lot better at it and, sometimes, the friendship might blossom into something more. Or maybe one of your female friends will set you up with one of their friends. At the very least when you meet "the one" (if such a thing exists) you will be better equipped to talk to her. Good luck!

based response
Original post by H8Courtship217
well ya, only women are allowed to be afraid of interacting with the other gender, not men, since nature dictates that for all time, men have to approach

Not nature. Traditions. You saying that only women are allowed to be ‘afraid’ of interactions with the opposite gender completely disregards what the OP implicitly. You can be male and be afraid of talking to women. Please don’t disregard OP’s concern and be respectful. Thank you.
Original post by MaxFischer

Well said.
its over

Do you want to not be afraid of talking to girls? You need to want to not be afraid, in order to make the changes necessary.

Start with a simple wave, it's that simple. All you need to start with is to wave at a girl.
Then, move on to greetings and small talk.

If you want to ask a girl out, for dating, etc. then it could get intimidating and anxiety-inducing if you were to go up to an attractive girl. You can practice approaching girls that are less attractive (or a bit "under your league") so it won't be as anxiety-inducing.
After that, approach more and more attractive girls (even those you think are "over your league").

Well in school, university and daily life you will run into lots of women you need to get along with and talk to.

If you want to, we caan fix the problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending