The Student Room Group

Problem with retaking A levels

I messed up my A levels and I want to retake them. However, my parents are against it and I've been trying to make money in order to pay for it. I don't have enough money to pay for it and i don't have time due to the deadline. Any solutions please ?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by kingbobby1234567
I messed up my A levels and I want to retake them. However, my parents are against it and I've been trying to make money in order to pay for it. I don't have enough money to pay for it and i don't have time due to the deadline. Any solutions please ?

There is a bunch of information missing from your post.

1. What grades did you get?
2. What grades do you need to get into the course/uni you want?
3. What degree course were you hoping to do?
4. Have you considered applying for lower ranked unis or less competitive courses instead?
5. Have you considered a course with a foundation year?
6. Do you can enough money to fund one or two resits? Would that make enough of a difference to your grade profile?
7. If your parents don't want you to resit your A levels, what do they want you to do instead?
8. If you've been busy working, are you likely to be in a position (academically) to resit them and get better grades?
Original post by DataVenia
There is a bunch of information missing from your post.

1. What grades did you get?
2. What grades do you need to get into the course/uni you want?
3. What degree course were you hoping to do?
4. Have you considered applying for lower ranked unis or less competitive courses instead?
5. Have you considered a course with a foundation year?
6. Do you can enough money to fund one or two resits? Would that make enough of a difference to your grade profile?
7. If your parents don't want you to resit your A levels, what do they want you to do instead?
8. If you've been busy working, are you likely to be in a position (academically) to resit them and get better grades?

I had A* predicted grades and got C's. I was hoping to apply for maths and econ or some related. I'm want to apply for better unis. I don't want to take foundation year cos it limits my options and there aren't that many unis for foundation year. I've been studying A level econ and maths for Months now and I have made plenty of notes. For part 7 as of rn I'm doing an econ course but I don't like where I'm learning. It's kinda a joke and I want to challenge myself.
Original post by kingbobby1234567
I had A* predicted grades and got C's. I was hoping to apply for maths and econ or some related. I'm want to apply for better unis. I don't want to take foundation year cos it limits my options and there aren't that many unis for foundation year. I've been studying A level econ and maths for Months now and I have made plenty of notes. For part 7 as of rn I'm doing an econ course but I don't like where I'm learning. It's kinda a joke and I want to challenge myself.

If you're targeting "better unis" and "don't want to take foundation year", then I agree that retaking your A levels (in which you "got C's") is the right approach.

You say, "rn I'm doing an econ course but I don't like where I'm learning". So you managed to get a place at a low-ranked uni via Clearing, or something like that? So you're doing the course you want (which you said was "maths and econ or some related", but not at the type if uni you want. Added to that, you feel that what you're learning night now is overly simplistic, presumably because of the uni that you're at. ("It's kinda a joke and I want to challenge myself.")

So your parents are happy for you to stay at your current uni, doing Economics, and can't see the point in "wasting" time and money on retaking your A levels, just to get into a "better" uni. Have I got that right?

You seem confident that you can improve upon the C grades you got last year. Are you parents confident of that? Are they aware of all the effort you've been putting for the last few months? Presumably, their concern is that you might improve, but not sufficiently to get into one of your target unis? If that happens, you're not really any further forward that you are right now.

If (somehow) you could convince them that you're likely to get As or A*s, would they be more willing t entertain the idea of retaking, do you think? Or do you think they're just against it on principle?
Original post by DataVenia
If you're targeting "better unis" and "don't want to take foundation year", then I agree that retaking your A levels (in which you "got C's") is the right approach.

You say, "rn I'm doing an econ course but I don't like where I'm learning". So you managed to get a place at a low-ranked uni via Clearing, or something like that? So you're doing the course you want (which you said was "maths and econ or some related", but not at the type if uni you want. Added to that, you feel that what you're learning night now is overly simplistic, presumably because of the uni that you're at. ("It's kinda a joke and I want to challenge myself.")

So your parents are happy for you to stay at your current uni, doing Economics, and can't see the point in "wasting" time and money on retaking your A levels, just to get into a "better" uni. Have I got that right?

You seem confident that you can improve upon the C grades you got last year. Are you parents confident of that? Are they aware of all the effort you've been putting for the last few months? Presumably, their concern is that you might improve, but not sufficiently to get into one of your target unis? If that happens, you're not really any further forward that you are right now.

If (somehow) you could convince them that you're likely to get As or A*s, would they be more willing t entertain the idea of retaking, do you think? Or do you think they're just against it on principle?

I feel like they are mainly against the principle of me doing and maybe because I might not get better grades. Also I'd have to pay 1k for exams and I doubt they'd be interested in assisting in any cos I'm already in uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending