The Student Room Group

Add the BBcode button back and maybe allow all users to extract the BBcode of any pos

Problem Summary
Add the BBcode button back and maybe allow all users to extract the BBcode of any post

Problem Details
I’ll attach an image for what I’m talking about but the </> needs to be imported over onto to react in that it’s useful when creating threads that have the same layout (especially if you’re not VSL+ meaning that you won’t have site wide (or for most users any) perms to copy posts and threads. It could be useful to have it so that next to every post there’s a </> that can be used to convert a post or at the very least an OP to the BBcode so that you can copy and paste it and for the quick reply editor to import this from showthread 2.

Also a suggestion (feel free to make this a second ticket) would be to have a list in the feedback thread when it comes to what functionality and BBcodes from Showthread 2 intends on being ported over to react and what functionality and BBcodes from ST2 do not intend on being ported over. This way established users can be aware of what features to request for, whether they need to change the way that they use TSR, whether they might call it quits, what BBcodes to use etc

Device
Mobile

Browser
Brave

Link

Additional Information
I use this feature religiously for anything and everything (quoting, making threads (especially forum games and “projects”), previewing how my BBcode will turn out etc)
IMG_1459.jpeg
Circled in blue.
Agree. Any post longer than 1 sentence I just type in as the raw BB code.
I've actively toggled out of react on many occasions just so that I can use this button.
It's also essential for the PS review service. If you don't add this button the PS review service will be over. Please be aware.
Update: I’ve effectively made the second issue as a ticket (asking TSR to tell us (not just volunteers please, tell everyone) what plans on being imported to react from ST2 and what doesn’t).

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7436038
You can do this apparently:
Original post by DFranklin
I've replied in the other thread as well (it's basically what I said to you before).

Press Reply to quote the post I want to copy,
Add some dummy text as a reply and complete making the reply.
Edit the reply you just made. Select all and copy/paste into a text editor (you could paste into a new post if you were feeling brave I guess).
Either delete or edit the reply (assuming you don't want to keep it as is - I changed it into the next number in the CTAM thread so it wasn't "out of place").
In the text editor, strip out the {quote} tags.
What you have should then be at least close to the original post. There's an issue with copy/pasting long posts where you can lose paragraph breaks, so you may need to fix those. That's the only other thing I fixed here.

[There may also be other things that don't work].

Original post by DFranklin
I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem too bad to use my suggestion to reproduce the CTAM threads: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7423315&page=2#post99079271

There's a small issue in that copy/pasting text in React seems to lose some of the line breaks - I fixed a couple of them but decided not to fix all of it (just to show what does go wrong).

If there's anything else broken it would be useful to know (I suspect anything broken may indicate a bug in the new system).

[As far as I understand it, what's been lost with React is that after pressing reply to quote your post, I have to actually finish (make) the reply and then edit it in order to get access to the bbcode. Previously, I could bress the bbcode button to get access while still not having actually made the post].

@04MR17 FYI ^^^

So not game over as such but still inferior to ST2 in my opinion.
Bumping only because it’s been more than 2-4 working days.

Will this button be added back or not? (I don’t strictly need a date, just a simple yes/no answer to the question).
Original post by Talkative Toad
Bumping only because it’s been more than 2-4 working days.

Will this button be added back or not? (I don’t strictly need a date, just a simple yes/no answer to the question).

I'll pop an update here along with the list of things that will/won't be migrated to React when that is ready :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending