The Student Room Group

Advice for humanities grads getting into tech/business roles

History grad with a First from a top uni. Im interested in a lot of different areas, like law, business, tech. I have a very business-minded brain, with some experience in programming which I really enjoyed. Cyber security, business development, project management etc. all sound interesting to me. I like the idea of working in a team on a project and solving problems! I'm very willing to learn new skills. Any advice on what sort of jobs to apply for, what to do to gain more experience, and how to decide on which path to take?!
You have a couple of options. This is coming from my job searching experience:

If you want to get into tech then one option is to apply for graduate software engineering roles. About a year ago, I was a graduate and I noticed that there are quite a number of tech companies that are recruiting graduates with a degree in any subject. I ended up applying for some of them.

There are also some business analyst and data analyst roles that do not require a STEM degree. There are plenty of options and I would also recommend that you do some self paced courses on the side to upskill yourself. Have a look around. When I was job searching I used almost every job board I could. Indeed, linkedin, Reed, CV-Library, including my university career site. If you explore a bit, I am sure that you will find plenty of interesting graduate roles.
Reply 2
Original post by username6257691
You have a couple of options. This is coming from my job searching experience:

If you want to get into tech then one option is to apply for graduate software engineering roles. About a year ago, I was a graduate and I noticed that there are quite a number of tech companies that are recruiting graduates with a degree in any subject. I ended up applying for some of them.

There are also some business analyst and data analyst roles that do not require a STEM degree. There are plenty of options and I would also recommend that you do some self paced courses on the side to upskill yourself. Have a look around. When I was job searching I used almost every job board I could. Indeed, linkedin, Reed, CV-Library, including my university career site. If you explore a bit, I am sure that you will find plenty of interesting graduate roles.

thank you! are there any courses in particular that you recommend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending