The Student Room Group

Independent student finance

I was unaware I could apply for independent status for student finance as I am 23 and have financially supported myself since I was 18 and don’t rely on my parents for money. When I applied I put it down as household income assessed as I thought thats what everyone had to do. I was struggling so looked online for extra support and have found this independent option. I called SFE to see if I could be reassessed but was told independent finance for under 25 is only for students who have been estranged from their parents. I asked my course friends if they had applied for this independent finance and someone who is the same age as me and is not estranged from their parents is classed as independent. I’m not sure i’ve been given the correct information by the person I was on the phone with?
Original post by chvrlo
I was unaware I could apply for independent status for student finance as I am 23 and have financially supported myself since I was 18 and don’t rely on my parents for money. When I applied I put it down as household income assessed as I thought thats what everyone had to do. I was struggling so looked online for extra support and have found this independent option. I called SFE to see if I could be reassessed but was told independent finance for under 25 is only for students who have been estranged from their parents. I asked my course friends if they had applied for this independent finance and someone who is the same age as me and is not estranged from their parents is classed as independent. I’m not sure i’ve been given the correct information by the person I was on the phone with?

Hi Chvrlo,

If you have been self sufficient for 3 years prior to the 1st day of the 1st academic year of your course you can be classed as Independent. I would advise you to upload a cover letter explaining you want to apply as an Independent Student, the cover letter should also include your full name and Customer Reference Number. I would then advise that you upload your last 3 P60s or payslips that would cover the 3 years required.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Chvrlo,

If you have been self sufficient for 3 years prior to the 1st day of the 1st academic year of your course you can be classed as Independent. I would advise you to upload a cover letter explaining you want to apply as an Independent Student, the cover letter should also include your full name and Customer Reference Number. I would then advise that you upload your last 3 P60s or payslips that would cover the 3 years required.

Thanks, Drew

Thank you for your reply. I’ve already started my course in September and been given my amount that for the year. Is it possible to be reassessed for this academic year and receive more money in my upcoming payments?
Original post by chvrlo
Thank you for your reply. I’ve already started my course in September and been given my amount that for the year. Is it possible to be reassessed for this academic year and receive more money in my upcoming payments?

Hi Chvrlo,

Yes we can re-assess your entitlement and if you are approved we can back date the payments.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Chvrlo,

Yes we can re-assess your entitlement and if you are approved we can back date the payments.

Thanks, Drew

Thank you, how do I go about doing this? Can I do it online or do I need to call? I can’t really find what I’m looking for on the student finance page
Original post by chvrlo
Thank you, how do I go about doing this? Can I do it online or do I need to call? I can’t really find what I’m looking for on the student finance page

Hi Chvrlo,

You would need to upload your cover letter and evidence from your online account. Once received it is taking approximately 21 working days to process. When you log into your online account click on the current academic year. When this pages loads up on the right hand side you should see an expand button. If you click on this it should give you a drop down menu and you should see an upload of evidence option here. You can use the link below as it will show you what to do.

https://youtu.be/rOMx_EG5JWk

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending