The Student Room Group

Part Time Bsc Hons and Maintenance Loan

Hi there,

I am looking at doing a second undergrad degree in a STEM subject which qualifies for part time tuition loan payments. I am also wondering if I would qualify for a maintenance loan too? I am disabled and recive PIP and rely on family for help so moving away isn't an option.

I am based in the Midlands and one uni offers a course I like the look of but only on a full time or sandwich basis and I doubt I could get them to make an exception for me to study over 4 yrs instead of taking the sandwich year so my only other option is via The Open Uni.

Are unis flexible for spreading same modules over 4 years for disabled students if they offer sandwich courses and would I qualify for a maintenance loan if I studied with the OU?

Thanks.
Original post by smallandcute
Hi there,

I am looking at doing a second undergrad degree in a STEM subject which qualifies for part time tuition loan payments. I am also wondering if I would qualify for a maintenance loan too? I am disabled and recive PIP and rely on family for help so moving away isn't an option.

I am based in the Midlands and one uni offers a course I like the look of but only on a full time or sandwich basis and I doubt I could get them to make an exception for me to study over 4 yrs instead of taking the sandwich year so my only other option is via The Open Uni.

Are unis flexible for spreading same modules over 4 years for disabled students if they offer sandwich courses and would I qualify for a maintenance loan if I studied with the OU?

Thanks.

Hi there,

You would need to speak to the university directly you wish to do the course with and ask if they will allow you to spread the modules. Regarding the Maintenance Loan, Open University students are eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan only. However, new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability will be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. You would need to provide evidence of this once you apply and it will be up to the assessor once received, if this is accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending