The Student Room Group

Advice

Hi all,

I recently graduated in a computing-related field from London Met, which is considered a less prestigious institution (aka a shithole). Fortunately, I have demonstrated enough aptitude (you should see the average students there) and achieved a First Class degree.

Now, considering the university's poor reputation, do you think it would be best for me to spend another year studying for a master's degree at a prestigious institution such as Imperial, UCL, or King's? This way, I could enhance my employability. Alternatively, should I continue searching for a job in order to gain practical experience, which is highly valued by employers?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.
Reply 1
If you have the money, do a Masters from a respected uni.
Reply 2
That is what my gf is also recommending. I am, however, slightly worried that I might find myself having hard times catching up with those students who have undergrads from respectable institutions. Unfortunately the whole of my degree was abysmal.
Original post by mike23mike
If you have the money, do a Masters from a respected uni.
Original post by KKK90
That is what my gf is also recommending. I am, however, slightly worried that I might find myself having hard times catching up with those students who have undergrads from respectable institutions. Unfortunately the whole of my degree was abysmal.

Don't compete with others; you're running your own race.
Reply 4
Being realistic the top tier unis probably will not accept you so set your sights on a decent uni outside of UCL or Imperial.
Original post by mike23mike
Being realistic the top tier unis probably will not accept you so set your sights on a decent uni outside of UCL or Imperial.

Not true
Reply 6
For the record on my transcript I have only As, and one B. My average was above 80%. Will this paired with the FCH and a great statement be enough for a top tier uni?
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending