The Student Room Group

Starting as/A levels at 17

So i have just completed my first year on a level 3 btec in creative media. However, i realise that i dont know whether this is the right career patyh for me and I am thinking about doing A levels next year (As and then A level). This would set me a year back from everyone else which a am a little worried about due to having FOMO. The A levels i am thinking about taking up are: Law, psychology and Socialology. I am unclear about what i want to do in life but i find these subjects interesteing. Has anyone experienced any similar situations and could help put my mind to ease about the whole situation? -
thanks
Reply 1
Original post by The student Dan
So i have just completed my first year on a level 3 btec in creative media. However, i realise that i dont know whether this is the right career patyh for me and I am thinking about doing A levels next year (As and then A level). This would set me a year back from everyone else which a am a little worried about due to having FOMO. The A levels i am thinking about taking up are: Law, psychology and Socialology. I am unclear about what i want to do in life but i find these subjects interesteing. Has anyone experienced any similar situations and could help put my mind to ease about the whole situation? -
thanks

I'm retaking year 12 right now because I decided I wanted to study psychology instead of maths at A-Level so I understand the FOMO worries! First of all, psychology is great! There's a lot of content but it is a really interesting and eye-opening subject :smile:

There's no way to sugar coat it, you will experience FOMO especially with your friends that are travelling abroad next year or going to university however, if they are in year 13 themselves which it sounds like they will be (?), honestly they will not have time to focus on anything beyond their studies and that sort of makes it easier for you AND encourages you to study hard alongside them.

The key thing is to remember that you will be able to see your friends again and make new friends but for the next 1-2 years you're simply prioritising yourself and your future which in the end will be so rewarding! Also, you'll probably find that you're not the only one in that position - last year I made friends with two people who had delayed A-Levels by one year due to a change in plans and then this year I have made friends with two people who are also retaking the year with me so you won't be alone.

I hope this helps and lmk if you have any more questions :biggrin: Good luck!
thank you so much that really does help. For the BTEC there isnt really any exams its more coursework so they wont be studying they would be more focused on higher education. I have a few freinds however who are doing gap years or not going to university but my A level friends and BTEC friends will be leaving a year early. Im not the best at making friends either which is a big worry for me as i kow its about prioritising Education but i tend to enjoy the college life more when i can hae a blanaced social life (if tyhat makes sense)
Im an acedemic person and didnt do a levels last year because i thought i had a career path in mind
I do feel better about the fact im not alone when it comes to things such as FOMO with peers going to uni as that was a big thing for me
-thanks

Original post by mai0may
I'm retaking year 12 right now because I decided I wanted to study psychology instead of maths at A-Level so I understand the FOMO worries! First of all, psychology is great! There's a lot of content but it is a really interesting and eye-opening subject :smile:

There's no way to sugar coat it, you will experience FOMO especially with your friends that are travelling abroad next year or going to university however, if they are in year 13 themselves which it sounds like they will be (?), honestly they will not have time to focus on anything beyond their studies and that sort of makes it easier for you AND encourages you to study hard alongside them.

The key thing is to remember that you will be able to see your friends again and make new friends but for the next 1-2 years you're simply prioritising yourself and your future which in the end will be so rewarding! Also, you'll probably find that you're not the only one in that position - last year I made friends with two people who had delayed A-Levels by one year due to a change in plans and then this year I have made friends with two people who are also retaking the year with me so you won't be alone.

I hope this helps and lmk if you have any more questions :biggrin: Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by The student Dan
thank you so much that really does help. For the BTEC there isnt really any exams its more coursework so they wont be studying they would be more focused on higher education. I have a few freinds however who are doing gap years or not going to university but my A level friends and BTEC friends will be leaving a year early. Im not the best at making friends either which is a big worry for me as i kow its about prioritising Education but i tend to enjoy the college life more when i can hae a blanaced social life (if tyhat makes sense)
Im an acedemic person and didnt do a levels last year because i thought i had a career path in mind
I do feel better about the fact im not alone when it comes to things such as FOMO with peers going to uni as that was a big thing for me
-thanks

I completely understand! Making new friends has been really hard for me as I usually keep to a small circle of close friends but there are a lot of understanding people or people who are having similar situations.

When your friends are on study leave/finishing coursework you tend to be doing mocks or AS exams so you yourself would be preoccupied.

In year 13, it will be harder (I'm starting next year and dreading it without all my other friends) but this year for my friends in the year above has gone so quickly and they've been wrapped up in their studies so much that they haven't been able to hang out as much as we used to so idk if that's any reassurance but hopefully the year alone will go quite swiftly and you will be focussed on the A-Level exams.

Good luck! Just remember there are loads of people experiencing retaking for an array of reasons and we all experience FOMO so you're not alone :smile:
thank you that does help quite a lot. I am hoping that i will be able to make new friends in my classes and hopefully find people in a similar situation so we aren't on our own. I think it will be difficult to adjust to at first and FOMO will kick in quite a bit but hopefully iit will begin to ease itself into reality quickly.
Im a very problematic and introverted person who will panic and overthink any situation so i have been debating this since september
Original post by mai0may
I completely understand! Making new friends has been really hard for me as I usually keep to a small circle of close friends but there are a lot of understanding people or people who are having similar situations.

When your friends are on study leave/finishing coursework you tend to be doing mocks or AS exams so you yourself would be preoccupied.

In year 13, it will be harder (I'm starting next year and dreading it without all my other friends) but this year for my friends in the year above has gone so quickly and they've been wrapped up in their studies so much that they haven't been able to hang out as much as we used to so idk if that's any reassurance but hopefully the year alone will go quite swiftly and you will be focussed on the A-Level exams.

Good luck! Just remember there are loads of people experiencing retaking for an array of reasons and we all experience FOMO so you're not alone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest