The Student Room Group

When to start applying for internships.

Ive just finished first year and I know that you have start applying kinda early in order to gain an internship after second year.

I just wanted to know when is the best time to start looking/applying and also which websites you used to find them
Original post by Help......
Ive just finished first year and I know that you have start applying kinda early in order to gain an internship after second year.

I just wanted to know when is the best time to start looking/applying and also which websites you used to find them

Hello @Help......

This might depend on the course you are studying, as it can vary if you are studying a STEM or humanities subject. For example, if you are studying Biochemistry or another life sciences subject, you might want to have a look at pharmaceutical industries (e.g. AstraZeneca, Pfizer, etc).

If you are seeking to apply independently to internships (e.g. a specific company you are interested in), I would suggest you look at the companies you would like to work with and see if they have any information about internships. If they do, they would normally provide the dates and any other requirements. If by any chance you cannot find any information, I would suggest you email them (ideally with your university email), present yourself and ask if they have any upcoming internships - this would show that you are interested and have initiative! The best time is to start looking now, so you can get an idea of when applications open (this can vary a lot between companies) and prepare your statement and CV.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Elena
Keele University
(edited 10 months ago)
Now.
Original post by Help......

Hi @Help...... what I would recommend doing is by the end of August ensure your Cover Letter and CV are completed this way when your are applying for internships you only need to change a few things to tailor it to that specific role. I would also recommend created a list of all the placements you want to apply for with the deadline alongside it. The best time to start applying is the start of September all the way to late January early February. For websites I would recommend looking at Rate my placement and Gradcracker along with Linked these allow you to filter through the jobs specific for you. I would also recommend seeking advise from your careers team so you can create a plan for the year. Hope this helps!

Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending